• Help Support TNDeer:

New fishing tactics/methods

moondawg

Do you have any fishing methods/tactics that you don't use very often? Maybe you have a certain mode of fishing that you haven't tried for whatever reason?

I do. Two immediately come to mind.

1. Topwater: this is something I've tried on occasion, but never really worked for me for some reason. Stuff like Rebel poppers, Hula poppers, Zara Spooks, jitterbugs, torpedos, buzzbaits, etc. I hesitate to mention floating minnows, as they are more shallow divers than true topwaters...and I've actually caught fish on them.

2. Plastic worms/lizards: Either Texas or Carolina rigged. Or any other rig, for that matter. I've only tried the Texas/Carolina rigs tried it a few times, and never did well.

I went fishing with a guide at Pickwick a few years ago, and actually caught bass using those methods. Maybe it was being on a boat, having a guide coach me on how to fish said lures, maybe the conditions were just right (like the time, place, and the spot on the lake), maybe all of that combined. Other than that, I've always gone back to my usual top 5 (see the top 5 lures thread).

The lakes I've fished this time of year have a lot of weeds/grass that catches my lures. So I'm challenging myself to try topwater lures. Being that I fish the lighter rigs, I'm using the smaller topwater lures.

What about you?

Its all about confidence. You need to fish more with people who fish those methods regularly. I was that way with soft plastics and jigs and now they are my go to baits.

I still have the issue with alabama rigs, swim jigs, lipless crank baits, and jerk baits. Alabama rigs just don't feel right when winding them in. Cranking a swim jig straight in does not feel right. I have caught fish on lipless crank baits but the just not great numbers.
Jerk baits are just kind of weird and I rarely ever fish when they are most effective.

Try weightless worms in the grass.

Drop shot here also.. finally rigged up one and only took that pole.. wore em out.. now that's all I been fishing with lately!! Lol

Jerkbait. I bought a Kvd sexy shad jerkbait a couple weeks ago and I'm determined to learn how to use it. If the greatest bass angler on the planet uses one all the time I need to learn it.

lol i use all of the above tactics.............on bluegill, just at a lot smaller scale. microcranks and plugs and even 1/12 oz spoons tipped with 210 hook and 1" baby garland minnows in deep water. i use drop shot most of the time.

dont do any bass fishing anymore. i guess i got bored with it.

Latest posts

Back