• Help Support TNDeer:

Night time crappie fishing???

Thanks the good thing about smart phones it records where every pic was taken and it's time stampedā€¦

I haven't set foot in Florida since early 2010.
Slot was 24-28" at that time, if I remember correctly.
I had a good time telling the locals I was using crickets for baitā€¦.šŸ„øšŸ˜Ž

Yes, possibly two different fish. But by it being on a stringer , I'd bet it's within the slot limit too.

Wasn't worth keeping a short fish or a long one for that matter. Just fun catching them!

I fished under coleman lanterns , homemade floating lights and the old moonglow lights for years on center hill , cordell hull and even a time or two on barren river res. in ky . Caught many, many , many white bass and walleye but never ever a crappie . I wonder why no crappie ? We used small treble hooks and hooked the small shad with the trebles and never pulled them out of water . Either leave there or drop to lower depth . Been probably ten yrs since fishing like that . May try the green lights this year .

I fished under coleman lanterns , homemade floating lights and the old moonglow lights for years on center hill , cordell hull and even a time or two on barren river res. in ky . Caught many, many , many white bass and walleye but never ever a crappie . I wonder why no crappie ? We used small treble hooks and hooked the small shad with the trebles and never pulled them out of water . Either leave there or drop to lower depth . Been probably ten yrs since fishing like that . May try the green lights this year .
I really didn't give it an honest effort. I may try again this year. I can tell you the green lights bring the baitfish in by the thousands. Seems like it's pretty effective on catfish, but I want to catch crappie. Keep us posted.

I've tried the green lights a few times and mostly catch stripe and catfish not sure if it's where I'm setting up or what?

Is there anyone out there that can tell me why when fishing under lanterns , moonglo's and homemade lights we never caught crappie ? Did this for thirty to forty years with much , much success with white bass and walleye but never a crappie . Now folks are doing it and catching many crappie . Is it the green lights ? And if so why ? We always had plenty of bait fish to catch and use for bait . Any help appreciated .

LS at night is a whole different ball game the 2 times I have tried it!
I never could clear up my screen as it seemed every critter in the water was out stirring and just trying to get rid of what normally looks like pollen or debris in the water column.
All that "clutter" at night, is phytoplankton.
Once the sun comes up, they settle back to the bottom.
I see it all the time when I'm throwing a castnet for baitfish in shallower water.

All that "clutter" at night, is phytoplankton.
Once the sun comes up, they settle back to the bottom.
I see it all the time when I'm throwing a castnet for baitfish in shallower water.
I noticed this summer when i got on the water well before daylight, my active target was teaming with fish or something before sunup. They were small buy everywhere. At fiest light they would dissipate. Wonder if that was what I was seeing

Most night time crappie fishermen on Douglas fish the bridge pylons. It's not unusual to see 3-4 boats on one pylon.

First night time fishing under lights was in Melbourn Fl, fishing the intercoastal waterway for saltwater trout, folks would use a dip net for shrimp, most of them couldn't fish and dip shrimp but were happy to let folks fish, I had fished Centerhill at night casting the banks with pig n jigs, after coming home started fishing Centerhill under lights at boat docks around rock Island and Smithville, back then thieves were very few and dock owners trusted folks, them days are gone now. Have fished Norris a lot over the last 40 years and just a few crappie, always white bass and a walleye on Centerhill, never a crappie for some reason. Lot of fun if fish are biting, always try all the different depths and the light broadcast, start at the outside where the light doesn't reach and work inward, you will catch fish at all levels of light so dont get stuck trying to fish straight down all the time, snatching minners and dropping or casting out to the edge . no wake boarders or jet skis

I have fished the green tube light and it seemed to draw the plankton and fish slower, not sure what all the little stuff is maybe freshwater shrimp?, I won't try the green light again on Norris.

I'll add that some species prefer ambient lights as opposed to direct. In Florida I'd say 95% of my night fishing was around lights. Add heavy structure and a strong tide and you have a recipe for a great night of fishing.
Caught lots of snook around lighted docks down around Jupiter and West Palm. Having a 20lb snook blow up on a Spook just off the light line will wake you up for sure.
Might have to give it a try for some specks.

Back in the 70's you were allowed to shrimp and fish off the bridges, I will bet you can't now, a Feller might get a beer bottle thrown or shot 1 dark night, wasn't a lot of night traffic after about 12 am back then.

Latest posts

Back