• Help Support TNDeer:

Nissan Outboard ?

Creek

I dont know if this is the right place to ask about this but here it goes.
Can anyone give some advice/review on the smaller (5 to 10 HP) Nissan motors ?
Are they pretty reliable for the most part ?
Thanks

I had a 5hp 2-stroke a few years back. Very reliable and only issue was the shear pin in the prop was easy to shear. I even sheared it once when I put it in gear before it idled down after starting. Always kept spare pins with me.
Only sold it for a bigger boat.

Also, the Nissan & Tohatsu outboards are the same, just different stickers & colors. You can get the Tahatsu a little cheaper unless you want to pay for the Nissan name.
I've heard that Tohatsu even makes the motors for Mercury outboards under 15 hp.

I have an older Nissan 9.8 and it has been a great little motor. The online outboards guy based out of Dickson should have the best prices on new ones. He used to be in Cookeville and I would get service parts from him.

This sounds great.
Thanks for the replies and personal experience.
Since I posted my question I have read from another source, pretty much the same positive comments as Im reading here.
Im looking to make an investment in the next few months to a year.
Please feel free to add any other smaller (2 to 10 HP) outboard names that you feel are equal to compare.
I dont think I want to go smaller than 5 HP but would still enjoy hearing any personal experiences of these smaller motors when judged on reliability.
Thanks again.

Big Pop":38jtwbov said:
Sorry but I had a four stroke 6 horse Nissan that was only good for an anchor......
Thanks but No need to be sorry.
Im just glad to hear the truth. Even the good ones have trouble (Lemon).
Can you suggest the ones you did have good luck with for smaller motors ?

I know this is bigger than what you are asking about but I used a 25 hp 2 stroke Nissan for 2 years duck hunting and it is the baddest motor I have ever used.
I couldn't BELIEVE how much faster it was than my brand new Yamaha 25 hp 4 stroke.

Also bigger than you are looking for but I duck hunted and fished several years with a guy that ran a 25 Nissan. It was flat out bulletproof. This guy was notorious for not taking care of his stuff and it always delivered. Chopping up switch willows, running through mud, jumping beaver dams, you name it. It never failed to get us home.

RUGER":k553p7xd said:
I know this is bigger than what you are asking about but I used a 25 hp 2 stroke Nissan for 2 years duck hunting and it is the baddest motor I have ever used.
I couldn't BELIEVE how much faster it was than my brand new Yamaha 25 hp 4 stroke.
Spurhunter":k553p7xd said:
Also bigger than you are looking for but I duck hunted and fished several years with a guy that ran a 25 Nissan. It was flat out bulletproof. This guy was notorious for not taking care of his stuff and it always delivered. Chopping up switch willows, running through mud, jumping beaver dams, you name it. It never failed to get us home.
Really great reviews, thanks.
I might have to seriously consider a jet vs standard prop when considering the smaller rivers where we might want to go fishing.
I hate to change the subject but does it take more HP for a jet outboard to do the same thing as a standard prop will do ?

PRB":18h81v40 said:
I hate to change the subject but does it take more HP for a jet outboard to do the same thing as a standard prop will do ?

Yes. I'm not very familiar with jets but I believe the rule of thumb is 2/3 of the HP output. In other words a 90 HP outboard with a jet would actually produce around 60 HP. I know there are some jet guys here that will give you more info.

Spurhunter":3dtfgx5b said:
PRB":3dtfgx5b said:

Yes. I'm not very familiar with jets but I believe the rule of thumb is 2/3 of the HP output. In other words a 90 HP outboard with a jet would actually produce around 60 HP. I know there are some jet guys here that will give you more info.
Thanks.
That does make sense. Ive done more reading and research and dont know if jet is going to be the way to go for us due to cost.
Speed is not really an issue but getting in and out of the boat to drag it will be.
Im thinking that we are going to have to float some of the areas where we want to go fishing, first with our canoe and experience the terrain first hand.
I planned on selling the canoe to help fund the future boat and motor but I might have to slow down and do some more research.

Latest posts

Back