• Help Support TNDeer:

Offshore trip

This reminds me of the time my wife and I booked an offshore charter out of Orange Beach. We got to the marina before sunrise the next morning, as instructed. Then we were told the captain that we booked was off that day and there had been a mistake. Then another captain said "He's not off.. he just took some of his buddies out a few minutes ago. Ya'll got ditched!"

I posted about it on here. I posted his name and warned everyone to avoid him. Eventually Ruger got a letter from a lawyer asking that all of those posts be removed - a "cease and desist". I guess when you searched his name, TNDeer was in the search results and he didn't like the truth being told. :) I got my hand slapped (not really) by Ruger and everything was removed.

Another captain was nice enough to take us on an in-shore trip at the last minute. He was a super cool dude who happened to work here in Lebanon for a while. Shout out to Captrain Troy Wise of the 4 Seasons Outfitters for taking care of us that day. An in-shore trip wasn't what we wanted, but he at least got us out on the water and we had fun anyway.
What a crap show 😂. That takes a real douchebag to do that!

This reminds me of the time my wife and I booked an offshore charter out of Orange Beach. We got to the marina before sunrise the next morning, as instructed. Then we were told the captain that we booked was off that day and there had been a mistake. Then another captain said "He's not off.. he just took some of his buddies out a few minutes ago. Ya'll got ditched!"

I posted about it on here. I posted his name and warned everyone to avoid him. Eventually Ruger got a letter from a lawyer asking that all of those posts be removed - a "cease and desist". I guess when you searched his name, TNDeer was in the search results and he didn't like the truth being told. :) I got my hand slapped (not really) by Ruger and everything was removed.

Another captain was nice enough to take us on an in-shore trip at the last minute. He was a super cool dude who happened to work here in Lebanon for a while. Shout out to Captrain Troy Wise of the 4 Seasons Outfitters for taking care of us that day. An in-shore trip wasn't what we wanted, but he at least got us out on the water and we had fun anyway.
Wow! I bet one the "buddies" he took out that day was a lawyer. How long ago was this, and is the guy still around? That is perhaps the most unprofessional thing I've ever heard of out of guide. I'd like to know who it is (via Private Message, of course).

Wow! I bet one the "buddies" he took out that day was a lawyer. How long ago was this, and is the guy still around? That is perhaps the most unprofessional thing I've ever heard of out of guide. I'd like to know who it is (via Private Message, of course).
I honestly can't even think of his name. It has been about 10 years. I would know his name if I heard it. I just looked through the list of charter boats at that marina and he isn't listed.

It wasn't as if we had just booked the trip a day before. We were booked weeks in advance and had already paid a deposit.

That's not the way the marina generally operates. I've had other trips out of there with other captains and everything was always top notch.

Just got back. Quick 2 day trip. Peace is a character, but he knows his stuff. Boat ran great, he found swords when no one else did that day. Took some searching for sure. Put 2 in the boat. Next day we requested to go fish deep for tile fish. We bounced around picking up one or two here and there. Good meat haul for the freezer.

Attachments

• IMG_1334.jpeg
    IMG_1334.jpeg
    583.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0295.jpeg
    IMG_0295.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0250.jpeg
    IMG_0250.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0248.jpeg
    IMG_0248.jpeg
    447.5 KB · Views: 2
i've only been offshore once, but we caught enough yellowfin tuna off of Hatteras to gve me 40 years of remembering it fondly. closest spot on the east coast (north of Florida) to the Gulf Stream offshore. i'd take surf-fishing tackle with me in case weather shuts on going out in boats. actually, i'd take that gear anyway. i love tossing big spoons or cut bait into the surf...

If you plan an offshore fishing trip for a guys' getaway, I recommend targeting tuna or mahi-mahi. They're fun to catch and make for a great challenge. Gulf Shores, Alabama, or the Florida Keys are fantastic spots. Both locations offer a variety of charters that specialize in species beyond the usual red snapper. If you need a break from fishing, consider a trip to Missouri. I've stayed at Westgate's Branson resorts before, and it's a fantastic place to relax and unwind. It might not be for fishing, but the lakes and outdoor activities in the area are worth checking out.

Last edited:
Did you catch any sail cats with T-Roy? He is a good guy. I've fished with him a couple different times.

Did you catch any sail cats with T-Roy? He is a good guy. I've fished with him a couple different times.
Yep. That's about all we caught. He was super cool. He had some crab pots sitting out. He grabbed the crabs on the way in and boiled them up for us when we got back.

Latest posts

Back