• Help Support TNDeer:

Oh great and wise hunters......

muzzyman71

Enlighten me please. Lets discuss lunar phases and deer activity. I would much rather hear from people in my area, rather than buying a dvd or that crap. What have you noticed and or remember? As you see, I am but a lowly 6 point seeking knowledge. LOL

I have tried to determine this for many years including reading Alsheimers book on it but i cant endorse that.....Here in our area the rut is basically into the breeding phase around dec3-18 ....i see alot of pre rut "seeking" in the second week of MZ and first week of gun shifting to some chasing.......regardless of moon most of the time..........Lawrence and Wayne counties. :)

I have noticed more deer movement when the moon is straight up when the sun meets the horizon. More so early season. I also see deer more after 9 am on a full moon. Barametric pressure seems to have the most effect. If it is moving they are usually moving. All I hunt is public land and see alot of bigger deer between 11-1 regardless of moon phase or rut stage.

(1) If there is any effect at all, it may be that there is a later daytime period of movement during a full moon. In other words, you can sleep a little later in the morning and go out a little later in the afternoon.

(2) It may be that there is slightly more movement when the moon can be seen during daytime periods-the childrens moon. That is not substantiated.

(3)There is no...repeat no corelation between the moon and the rut.

(4) For those with long histories of hunting-many years experience-full moon periods are among their favorite days to hunt.

The only thing I've seen on numerous occassions is that on afternoon hunts when the moon is full and overhead near sunset I've seen more buck movement than otherwise. I might add that I'm mostly a morning hunter and that my afternoon hunts make up a small percentage of my hunting time. Therefore buck sightings on afternoon hunts make up a healthy percentage of my hunting time under the above circumstances.

In my opinion, moon conditions are the least influential of all of the environmental influences on daylight deer activity (weather being tops), but it does have an effect.

The moon is for howling at.Its only purpose. :grin:

Barametric pressure?Its not the pressure.Its the weather associated with it that effects deer movement.

Mr.Bro said:
Barametric pressure?Its not the pressure.Its the weather associated with it that effects deer movement.

I agree with that theory. Changes in barometric pressure simply "forecast" upcoming changes in the physical weather conditions.

I put little stock in the moon phase compared to many other factors, such as , time of year, weather, hunting pressure, etc. but I will say I like to hunt when the moon is high in the sky long before dark falls!

I don't look at the moon too much but it does seem that on a full moon the deer dont move early much

Type in barametric pressure and deer movement or go to my facebook page and look at my living room wall. Andrew Buchanan is my name. My profile picture is the one with the double droptine. I believe in it. Just my opinion. I have a notebook I have kept over the past 20 years and time and time again it repeats itself under certain conditions with success.

HatchieLuvr said:
Full moons DO affect activity, especially morning activity and assuming the skys were clear all night. During extreme cloudcover and/or stormy weather during the moon's "appearance" such cover decreases the light and therefore activity.

HatchieLuvr,

I'm not refuting your idea that a full moon changes deer behavior (it probably does), but the idea that deer will move more when the moon provides more light is erroneous. Deer see perfectly fine on a moonless black night. They have exceptional night vision.

horn master said:
The only for sure thing is you can't kill them from the couch! I do know that to be true.

Unless this is your couch:

couchinwoods.jpg

LOL!

Latest posts

Back