• Help Support TNDeer:

One more reason to wear life jacket . . . . .

if you think about it there is only one bolt holding it together very good idea to check it from time to time glad they were ok

Andy S.":p3y06f9w said:
I am amazed at how many boats went by before one had enough heart, care and concern to stop and offer help. FLW tournament or not, that's BS.

One January my brother and I twisted a drive shaft on our outboard while duck hunting and were stranded on the TN River 15 miles from our truck. We made every attempt to flag down other boats but no one would help us. We walked along the bank pulling the boat for 4 hours until we found a ramp. I walked another 2 miles to a ranger station before we got help. My advice is to be prepared to get out of most situations on your own.

TRIGGER":2txy6b1v said:
What kind of failure in the steering? I'm not convinced that was steering failure. They did two things rite for sure. Life jacket and kill switch.

I read the article on facebook a day or so after it happened and one of the guys that was in one of the boats that DID stop said that (I don't know all the proper names of it) the nut came off the bar that is attached to the motor that does the actual turning of the motor.
I haven't gone back and watched it again but he also said right as they started to turn you can see the driver turn the wheel hard left but nothing happened. Also the steering wheel was free-spinning after the boat came to a rest.
As I said though, I haven't taken the time to watch it again.
Glad they are ok though.

RUGER":2vrsw7lu said:
TRIGGER":2vrsw7lu said:
What kind of failure in the steering? I'm not convinced that was steering failure. They did two things rite for sure. Life jacket and kill switch.

I read the article on facebook a day or so after it happened and one of the guys that was in one of the boats that DID stop said that (I don't know all the proper names of it) the nut came off the bar that is attached to the motor that does the actual turning of the motor.
I haven't gone back and watched it again but he also said right as they started to turn you can see the driver turn the wheel hard left but nothing happened. Also the steering wheel was free-spinning after the boat came to a rest.
Glad they are ok though.

I'm checking mine today. That's scary. I know Tritons can be temperamental on the water is the only reason I was hesitant on the steering failure. I'm glad they made it out ok. Without the kill switch or life jackets that could have been a totally different outcome.

TRIGGER":153tqhfq said:
RUGER":153tqhfq said:
TRIGGER":153tqhfq said:

Glad they are ok though.

I'm checking mine today. That's scary. I know Tritons can be temperamental on the water is the only reason I was hesitant on the steering failure. I'm glad they made it out ok. Without the kill switch or life jackets that could have been a totally different outcome.

My son's buddy has a 2072 grizzly tracker and the last time we duck hunted with him we got ready to put the boat in the water and the nut had come off his too.
I am just glad it was completely gone and not just "about" to come off and we got out on KY lake before it came off.
I don't have to worry about that with the Minnow :)
25 hp tiller handle baby!!! LOL

Latest posts

Back