• Help Support TNDeer:

Outlaw Fishing for Bedding Bass?

I think a big problem is all those fish are caught all over the lake and brought to one area for the weigh in, most times many miles away from where they were caught. Also with all the
tournaments every night of the week I believe this is stressing the fish. Maybe take a note from the kayak tournaments and catch, photo, and release. Fish is back in the same location
it was caught within a few minuets. Longest 5 fish wins. Will never happen though, too much money involved now.

bigquacks":3epb09lj said:
I think a big problem is all those fish are caught all over the lake and brought to one area for the weigh in, most times many miles away from where they were caught. Also with all the
tournaments every night of the week I believe this is stressing the fish. Maybe take a note from the kayak tournaments and catch, photo, and release. Fish is back in the same location
it was caught within a few minuets. Longest 5 fish wins. Will never happen though, too much money involved now.

Like you said, that will never happen. Too easy to cheat with the kayak method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigquacks":1l7melm9 said:

Exactly! The Major League fishing way is the best but the elite guys aren't the problem. It's the weekday and weekend tournament guys without the proper equipment.

WTM":5xc050m4 said:
Mr. Simms, are there problems with black bass populations on the Chick or other lakes in that area?

I never said there is a problem... nor did the man who raised this question.

His point is that he wants to insure things remain as good as they are now. Whether I agree with him or not, I believe his intentions are noble.

As for my personal feelings on the issue, I don't agree with creating any kind of state law forbidding the practice because it would simply be too vague and virtually impossible to enforce.

But perhaps his concerns may bring others to question their own practices and alter their fishing patterns. But that is, and should be, their choice.

rsimms":uhzr0rgv said:
I don't agree with creating any kind of state law forbidding the practice because it would simply be too vague and virtually impossible to enforce.

But perhaps his concerns may bring others to question their own practices and alter their fishing patterns.
Agree.

If we have a problem, reduce the limit, reduce the number of organized "tournaments", etc,
which are potential solutions more easily enforced when violated.

Often, just raising awareness can be enough to prevent a potential problem.
Sometimes, a little carburetor adjustment is needed to raise awareness. :)
Last year's antlered buck definition change is an example of what I'd consider a carburetor adjustment with deer regs,
although many proclaimed the sky was falling.

If the states sets the possession limit at a number and someone catches a fish and weighs it and releases versus keeping it for the dinner table what difference is it creating for the fishery. I assume the state sets limits based on what the fishery can support; if the fishery is declining than reduce the limits. When someone takes home a stringer of bass, you don't see it floating at the ramp. Regardless both fisherman are exercising their right to fish. I don't fish tournaments but do not have anything against them nor do I eat bass but will never judge someone for doing so. Let them fish the way they enjoy!

Too bad we can't outlaw the idiots instead of the fishing. Fish care is pretty simple if you think about what you're doing. Knock on wood I've only lost 1 fish since I started tourney fishing here 6 or 7 years ago. I still don't have a clue what happened to it. Some live well treatment, some ice in the summer and fin clips or fizzing them go a long way. Keeping them off the carpet does too. If I catch a fish when I'm fun fishing I want a pic of or to weigh, it goes straight in the live well and I get the scales or camera set up and then I take him back out. As soon as it's done he's back in the water. Ticks me off seeing them carried around out the water or held by the mouth with the fish parallel the floor.

JimFromTN":1ju0l44g said:
Tournaments should be illegal while bass are bedding. They say it is only a 5% die off from tournaments but if you have ever been to a marina a day or 2 after a tournament, you will know thats a load of bull.
Ohhhh! That is so true. I've seen it too many times.

SilverFox":1lgajhyg said:
Too bad we can't outlaw the idiots instead of the fishing. Fish care is pretty simple if you think about what you're doing. Knock on wood I've only lost 1 fish since I started tourney fishing here 6 or 7 years ago. I still don't have a clue what happened to it. Some live well treatment, some ice in the summer and fin clips or fizzing them go a long way. Keeping them off the carpet does too. If I catch a fish when I'm fun fishing I want a pic of or to weigh, it goes straight in the live well and I get the scales or camera set up and then I take him back out. As soon as it's done he's back in the water. Ticks me off seeing them carried around out the water or held by the mouth with the fish parallel the floor.

There is no way to know how many die, because study's have shown from tagged Tournament fish that the delayed mortality rate is more greater than the initial deaths.

I know some die... but taking care of them from the minute you catch them till you turn them loose helps.

Bass fishermen (tourney guys) are their own worse enemies. If they die, take them home. Don't leave them floating for everyone else to see. Like always it'll be too late to do anything when they ban tourney fishing because you were to lazy to fix it when it was legal. It wouldn't bother me if they went all MLF or Kayak rules. It'd be a lot better for the fish. People who are going to cheat are going to cheat no matter what you do.

RUGER":98hq1agy said:
There are more than one other worse things for bass population than fishing beds.
The biggest one is not a very popular subject and very controversial / debated (if you like fishing bass tournaments)
yep yep for sure.

There are freakin bass everywhere. Almost like bluegill... after all they are a type of sunfish. I don't see how sight casting to bedding bass would do any harm at all.

SilverFox":1sjb4vg1 said:
I know some die... but taking care of them from the minute you catch them till you turn them loose helps.

Bass fishermen (tourney guys) are their own worse enemies. If they die, take them home. Don't leave them floating for everyone else to see. Like always it'll be too late to do anything when they ban tourney fishing because you were to lazy to fix it when it was legal. It wouldn't bother me if they went all MLF or Kayak rules. It'd be a lot better for the fish. People who are going to cheat are going to cheat no matter what you do.

Ditto

Prowler":1t0exn3m said:
The BFL guys on tims Saturday weighed 209 fish, and 20 were dead? Not even close to 25 or 50%. How many recreational anglers kept bass from tims on Saturday ?? Im sure the number is far greater than the amount that die in any tournament. every single fish that swims off during weigh in is 1 that wouldn't have been there had it been ate. And for the record I have no problem with anyone eating bass, but I know what kills many more bass than tournaments or bed fishing.

a huge percentage of the bass that "swim away" DIE!

SilverFox":95m8buxg said:

Sorry, but you have no clue how many fish you have killed, especially if you fish when water temps are high. In no way, no matter what kind of care you take, is riding around in a livewell good for a bass.

To me a live well is how you keep bait alive and keep fish alive so they're fresher when you fillet them at home. But that's just me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The door open and in walks another "professor of fish care".

I wonder how many ducks, deer, doves, turkeys, rabbit and what ever else we hunt run or fly off and die due to poor shot placement?

Wonder how many crappie/bream/catfish and whatever else get a cornmeal jacket each day with no chance of survival.

Wonder how many fish a guide takes out of the waters they fish a year? Wonder how many of those returned die due to pictures/livewells and other things.

A swimming chance at surviving is a lot better than a cornmeal jacket to the fish.

I think all of us know some fish are going to die in tourney fishing. I don't and won't leave one floating out my boat.

The Triton bass tournament in 2015 got blamed for a lot of dead bass the day after there tournament.
Here is the link.
Dead Bass Litter Kentucky Lake in Tennessee After Fishing Tournament
I think they went from 5 fish per day to 3 per day now.

Headhunter":2sp00qai said:
SilverFox":2sp00qai said:

Sorry, but you have no clue how many fish you have killed, especially if you fish when water temps are high. In no way, no matter what kind of care you take, is riding around in a livewell good for a bass.

Exactly!
I would think fish survival rate is high if released immediately after being caught. But, there's no way to determine how many die, hours and miles from where they're caught. I believe When money and competition enter into the sport, the fish suffer. Take away the large cash prizes, and just give the winners a trophy. Then, see how many people show up with their $60,000 boats.

SilverFox":3862uvbn said:
The door open and in walks another "professor of fish care".

I wonder how many ducks, deer, doves, turkeys, rabbit and what ever else we hunt run or fly off and die due to poor shot placement?

Wonder how many crappie/bream/catfish and whatever else get a cornmeal jacket each day with no chance of survival.

Wonder how many fish a guide takes out of the waters they fish a year? Wonder how many of those returned die due to pictures/livewells and other things.

A swimming chance at surviving is a lot better than a cornmeal jacket to the fish.

I think all of us know some fish are going to die in tourney fishing. I don't and won't leave one floating out my boat.

Sport hunting, fishing, guided trips are not the same as tournament fishing where hundreds of people compete to catch as many, and as big of fish as possible. Not to mention all the fish caught practicing for tournaments. It's all about money and fame.

Latest posts

Back