• Help Support TNDeer:

Painting a boat trailer

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ok my boat trailer is white and it is starting to show some rust discoloration through the paint and I thought about sanding it down and re-painting it.
I will have to do a little at a time as I have no way to remove the boat and leave it off for an extended amount of time.

I guess my question is, am I wasting my time by sanding it all down and then re-painting with a "good" rattle can (is there such a thing as good rattle can paint) or will I need to go back with a compressor sprayer and an automotive type paint?

It is fine functionally but it is starting to show it's age (1985 model)
Plus I know rust is not my friend. :D

Mine has tons of the rust showing thru the white paint. I'd have to remove the outboard and then slide the boat off and leave it in the barn while I did the project. It is pretty intimidating because of all the paint and rust stripping, so I have put it off for a while. I'm interested to hear what some people have to say about the rattle cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's best to get the boat off. You can hang it from a hoist pretty easy with 2 guys. Your gonna want to strip it down to metal and prime then paint to make it last. I have done a couple with a small rotary sander and a metal brush on a drill. A body shop maybe would sandblast it and paint it fairly cheap if the boat was off.

I have a white trailer (1992) doing the same thing but just don't know what to do with my boat while painting.

The only thing I could feasibly do is park the boat in someone's slip for a couple of days and hope for good weather.

id use an enamel paint. they make enamel paint just for marine applications but if you want to do it cheap i dont see why Rustoleum spray enamel or Rustoleum enamel (using a brush, or you might be able to thin enough to spray it). i painted my iron steel entry gates with that stuff and it had stood up to the weather. i used a side grinder with with a cup brush to remove the rust. i did use some primer in spots, where the rust was, but this stuff doesnt require primer.

Latest posts

Back