• Help Support TNDeer:

Pepperoncini Peppers

Hit the post button before I could type anything. Let's try again.

I'll have to pick a bunch tomorrow and Sunday so I plan on waterbathing them. The ones from the store only have a few ingredients and considering I want mine to be similar I'd like to do close to the same. I'm thinking just water, vinegar, sea salt, and maybe a garlic clove with a few peppercorns. Not interested in crunchy peppers, and a quick search says to slit them with a knife if not cutting into rings. Will I be good with just the ingredients I listed? I did a small batch of refrigerator peppers Monday and they were good but recipe called for sugar and that cut into the vinegar/salt flavor I like so I want to ditch it for these.

Haven't ever been able to find plants here, did you grow yours from seed?

We have done banana peppers with just water and vinegar and they turned out fine, we did slit the sides. I think you should be fine leaving out the sugar.

i always use the ball bluebook for canning. the hot pepper recipe can be exchanged for pepperchinis. you can slit them but i never do, theyll settle back down in a few days. you can add peppercorns to this recipe, probably about a tablespoon or so.

Thanks! I just love the salt/vinegar/heat from pickled peppers. The refrigerator ones I did were really good but that little bit of sweetness from the sugar was unnecessary for me. I'd rather leave it out.

Thanks! I just love the salt/vinegar/heat from pickled peppers. The refrigerator ones I did were really good but that little bit of sweetness from the sugar was unnecessary for me. I'd rather leave it out.

ill look at my hard copy bluebook when i get home and compare that recipe and see if that recipe if different. i can cayenne and banannas but i cant remember off hand if it calls for canning salt. the pickled okra calls for it though.

So I got them canned. 6 pints did great, however I had 4 pints where the peppers are floating. Are they still ok or no?? I've only had this happen once while canning cucumbers for pickles and I half expected it because the jar wasn't completely full. All 10 jars were packed tight to correct headspace unless I just did something wrong on the last batch.

TIA

So I got them canned. 6 pints did great, however I had 4 pints where the peppers are floating. Are they still ok or no?? I've only had this happen once while canning cucumbers for pickles and I half expected it because the jar wasn't completely full. All 10 jars were packed tight to correct headspace unless I just did something wrong on the last batch.

TIA

if the lids sealed they are fine. theyll do that occassionally especially with peppers and okry. when you open them they expand back out.

you probably know but keep the rings really loose or take them off.

if the lids sealed they are fine. theyll do that occassionally especially with peppers and okry. when you open them they expand back out.

you probably know but keep the rings really loose or take them off.

Yes they all sealed, thanks for all the info! Fairly new to canning and still have a lot to learn. I've yet to mess anything up bit every time I go to can something I worry I will/did lol

Latest posts

Back