• Help Support TNDeer:

Percy Priest, completely changed, rant

Headhunter

There are boats on Priest that look like they belong on the ocean, it is crazy. The wakes they make are crazy to. Weekends have become nuts.

And, I am not being mean or against anyone, but I see people every weekend who are not only breaking the law but are being dangerous. I have video and pics.

A person who was not American, or at the least does not know english very well, was running a jet ski in the no wake zone at 4 corners Saturday. I tried to politely tell him that the whole cove is no wake. He started yelling he was to going to kick my a$$, and wanting to fight. I never replied to that, I tried to tell him it was a large ticket if he got caught and he went nuts. When I was easing toward the Hurricane ramp to go home, he came running wide open from the back of the creek, had a young girl with him, almost hit a kid on a float and went out to main lake, I have video, he is a danger to others for sure. I finally got to floating dock, when I was pulling my truck around, he pulled to other side of floating dock. He was taking pictures of my boat, I had taken pics of his jet ski first time we talked and sent his numbers to the game warden. After I backed down, he started yelling at me that I didn't own the lake and he could run his jet ski anywhere he wanted and he was calling the police on me. A couple of other people tried to tell him about the whole cove being no wake, but he never paid any attention. Then he started yelling he is a legal citizen or something and I was discriminating against him and he started videoing me. He picked up a large rock and acted he was going to throw it at me and was still wanting to fight. I told him to call the police, I should have already called them, there was something wrong with him. He told me I could not say anything, it was the police job and I asked him if he knew anything about being on the water, he said he didn't have know anything it is the police job to teach him. I tried to tell him it was his responsibility to know the laws and be safe, he said it wasn't.

Almost every single time I go to Priest, not only do people, mostly hispanic, sorry, but it is the truth, not only doing something illegal, but very unsafe. One boat left the floating dock at Hurricane creek, the looked to be chinese or Japanese, but you literally could not get another person in the boat, a couple were sitting in someone's lap, a 16' or so aluminum boat, not sure how floated and not ONE life jacket. They had no clue.

I have a pic of another boat, asians, running about 25 mph in a flat bottom aluminum boat, a kid is sitting on the front of the boat as close to the edge as she can be, with all the waves and big boats running around. I have a pic.

A couple weeks ago, I watched a couple guys catching fish, the weren't speaking english, and they were catching fish, putting every single fish in a basket, no doubt had small bass and ended up a lot of small hybrids. I contacted the TWRA and luckily they got caught. They had over the limit and short hybrids and bass.

Not being mean to anyone or any group, but what you see on Priest now is unbelievable until you see it in person.

Been there and feel your frustrations. I was done with PP and OH years ago. Nashville sucks for fishing. Only 2 real lakes and WAY over-populated. I prefer KY lake or Cheatham. Although KY lake seems to also be down the tubes due to the asian carp.

Knoxville has MUCH better lakes. So many good, deep, cool water lakes with great fishing and they aren't nearly as crowded. I know that's not convenient (unfortunately), but I go there to see the in-laws every few weeks and we go fishing every time. That's where I get my "fix".

I would say keep the camera rolling and call the Law right away so the GW has time to catch them red handed. I know there are 2 GW boats that are out of the same marina as i am so i will call them in a heart beat if I see it that bad. Exp after the response you got i would have called the GW and the police because his comments. The more we report the more effective it is.

I have seen many of the same things you have over the years on Priest. I haven't even been there this year. I've been fishing mostly around Rock Island for smallmouth and others. I will start trolling Priest shortly for crappie but as you know, the crazies show up about 10 am or even earlier and you have to get off the lake if you want to not get run over.

JCDEERMAN":kk7uzz6l said:
Been there and feel your frustrations. I was done with PP and OH years ago. Nashville sucks for fishing. Only 2 real lakes and WAY over-populated. I prefer KY lake or Cheatham. Although KY lake seems to also be down the tubes due to the asian carp.

Knoxville has MUCH better lakes. So many good, deep, cool water lakes with great fishing and they aren't nearly as crowded. I know that's not convenient (unfortunately), but I go there to see the in-laws every few weeks and we go fishing every time. That's where I get my "fix".

KY lake is getting that way, at least the mid section now. i probably seen more pontoons and big ski boats in the back creeks than i ever have now, and the reason i very rarely fish on weekends anymore. i dont know where the asian carp went but i havent seen very many this year on the mid section. they seem to disappear and then reappear all at once. kind of crazy.

I haven't fish on Saturday or Sunday in over 20 years...

When the fool jet skied between the bank and my boat at casting distance that done it..

But give me an A for effort, I tried too hang a shad wrap in him....but missed.

Smo":2u5o4ru2 said:
When the fool jet skied between the bank and my boat at casting distance that done it

Same thing happened to me at Pickwick a few years ago. 12 or 13 year old kid operating the idiotski with his Dad on back. Dad just threw his hands up like "sorry, he's driving".

Headhunter":12rqsf2b said:
There are boats on Priest that look like they belong on the ocean, it is crazy. The wakes they make are crazy to. Weekends have become nuts.

Pickwick is the same way. You better night fish or be off the water by 10am when the lake lice have slept off their hangovers. The Asian carp have ruined the MS River lakes and are now in Kentucky Lake. The lake lice ruin anywhere big enough from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend.

Every public place outdoors that wasn't closed for covid 19 has been bad this year because of covid 19. That includes lakes, rivers, creeks, parks, WMAs, etc. and especially near big cities are the worst. It won't be near as bad once everything goes back to normal and everyone's back at work during the week. Even here in Franklin I've never seen so many cars parked at every possible access to the Harpeth river on any warm sunny day, even during the week. It will pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The recreational boat traffic doesn't affect my fishing or catching fish for the most part this time of the year, never has, actually I believe it helps me catch bass.

What is getting worse are the safety issues and I don't want to see anyone get hurt, especially out of ignorance or just stupidity. It pains me to see, especially the non english speaking population, although it is NOT only them, just the dangerous stuff they do, number 1 is riding in the front seat of a bass boat or a boat that it is not only illegal to do so, but very dangerous, and I see it almost every time I am on the water.

One thing that has changed, and I am not a fan, are kayaks. I just don't think I can sit in one more than 5 minutes and I would be done. But, the no wake areas, even though the no wake areas were not created just for kayaks, are great places for the kayaks. Well until idiots decide they want to run wide open in the no wake areas.

I report what I see all the time. The game wardens are covered up out there and when they can they check and I only let them know about stuff I see that is for sure wrong.

The Corps of Engineers, in my opinion, are completely useless. They get paid to absolutely nothing. Never see a corps person anywhere doing anything. There really needs to be a sign, not only at Hurricane Creek, but all boat ramps, explaining that the ramp and floating dock when there is one, is for loading and unloading of boats. Also at ramps like Hurricane creek, that the whole cove is a no wake cove. I have called and called and called and begged for just a sign and never got a reply. Not one.

There is a houseboat sitting in Hurricane Creek, partially sunk, pulled up against the bank, been there for several months now, kids are all over it diving off of it, water is not very deep, playing on it, etc. and the corps response was glad it is getting used by someone.

It is really just sad.

We used to go to Priest because I lived 3 miles from Fate Sanders so it was easy and I grew up crappie fishing it with my dad and brother. For the most part these days we're skiing, surfing, wakeboarding, or just anchored down in a cove relaxing. Many of those trips were during the week after work. I got remarried in 2018 and ultimately sold my place and moved to Christiana so now it's a 45-50 minute trip to get there. We went a week back and put in at Four Corners on a Sunday around 3:00 and it was nuts. Boats everywhere. We went up the lake and anchored down for several hours. We used to go to Center Hill when we had all day but it's now an hour and a half and Tim's Ford is an hour. We've tried it 4 times now and is where we are now gonna go most of the time. It's been busy too. As others have said they're all crazy busy this year as everything else has been closed down. As for Priest there have been several boats sink this year. If you're on Facebook join the Percy Priest page. It's comical. I'll probably only go back if I'm fishing with buddies.

I did talk to the corps ranger yesterday. Will see if at least a sign is put up. There is one there but it is small and in the wrong spot.

Even in East Tennessee Nobody works anymore it seems! They're all at the lake even during the week. Boat ramps are where all the idiots can be found trying to put pontoons or boats on trailers. I worked for forty years to retire and be able to fish during the week when most folks are working. I guess COVID has something to do with it this year but it's been bad the last few years as well.

Latest posts

Back