• Help Support TNDeer:

Pickwick dam to Savannah bridge

Spurhunter

Anybody ever fish for bass from the dam to Savannah bridge? We are staying near Savannah and wondered if we need to trailer to the lake, or if the bass fishing is any good on that stretch of the river. We will be striper fishing below the dam in the afternoons, but will fish for largemouth/smallmouth/spots Sunday morning. It would be convenient to not have to trailer to the lake. I don't want to fool with locking either.

from my expeience on that stretch of river you need to watch the tva generation schedule and fish when the generators are running 3 or more to be effective when fishing. You will have to trailer in and out around the dam .Botel ramp is the best in my opinion, the tva ramp has a gravel bar just off ramp due to spring rains, use caution at that ramp. Largemouth and smallmouth hit the eddies in the river. For stripers bait is the most important. Use live fresh bait...most people dip yellowtails behind the boils.

It can be absolutely killer during the right time of the year. Unfortunately I don't think late July early August is a very good time to fish the river. If you hit it at daylight you might get lucky and find some fish schooling in creek mouths or on a gravel bar maybe. Like Ronny said it'll be very dependent on current and if there isn't any I'd say it'd pretty much be a waste of your time.

ronnycl":1j5l8ozl said:
from my expeience on that stretch of river you need to watch the tva generation schedule and fish when the generators are running 3 or more to be effective when fishing. You will have to trailer in and out around the dam .Botel ramp is the best in my opinion, the tva ramp has a gravel bar just off ramp due to spring rains, use caution at that ramp. Largemouth and smallmouth hit the eddies in the river.

If I'm going to trailer to the dam I'll just put in on the lake and fish the stuff I know. I was wanting to avoid trailering since we'll be staying close to Savannah bridge. Sounds like the river would be a crap shoot and they aren't going to be running many generators on Sunday morning. I think we'll run from River Heights to the dam to striper fish and trailer to the lake Sunday morning to bass fish. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ronnycl":3uij4hkm said:
For stripers bait is the most important. Use live fresh bait...most people dip yellowtails behind the boils.

That's what we do. On the days we are dipping 5-7 inch bait the striper fishing is good. Some days all you can dip is small bait and the bite suffers. We also throw some artificial baits but it's hard to beat 6" live bait.

bowhunterfanatic":2b01hc2j said:
It can be absolutely killer during the right time of the year. Unfortunately I don't think late July early August is a very good time to fish the river. If you hit it at daylight you might get lucky and find some fish schooling in creek mouths or on a gravel bar maybe. Like Ronny said it'll be very dependent on current and if there isn't any I'd say it'd pretty much be a waste of your time.
I wouldn't expect a lot of generation at daylight on a Sunday morning at daylight, although I haven't checked the schedule yet. I think we'll just trailer to the lake Sunday morning and fish what I know.

Latest posts

Back