• Help Support TNDeer:

Polaris vs Can Am sxs

I have a CanAm Commander and it's a tough machine . Built like a tank but as @rem270 a little loud but I just retrieve deer or use it to haul stuff . It's a more versatile machine because you can trail ride or use it otherwise....pretty dang fast.
May be for sale soon because I just don't ride it enough to justify having it . Running it through my mind ....it's road ready with horn , signal lights and side mirror .

I bought a HD8 6 seater 4 years ago. Been a great machine - quiet, rides smooth and trouble free. My only other atv is a 1998 Yamaha big bear 350 so I am particular about this kind of stuff. Canam offers a lot of accessories as well so you can spend a fortune if wanted.

I first posted in the other forum but feel as though this would have more traffic.

I've gone back and forth…can am defender vs Polaris general /ranger. All I have read was that the can am was superior, but is it worth being 5-7k more?

I just will be using to ride around the house with my son as well as take to the camp to use to hunt with as well as for work around the camp.

Would it be worth getting a used can am around the price of a new Polaris etc?

I don't care about power as I'm really not gonna be using it for power/towing etc. I just care about durability, quiet, workhorse, and would like to be able to go decently fast but not anything crazy etc.

I'm in Florence, AL now do will be by a Polaris dealer, but I've heard their repairs are high etc I will drive by a can am dealership on the way to camp so that's a wash.

Which one is quieter? I know can ams are reliable but do Polaris hold up? Etc Open to any and all points. Thanks!
I'm on my second Can am defender. I love how durable they have been. Last one I had for 7 years, worked it hard during duck season and kept trucking. It's all preference, go sit in them and test drive both. Outerlimit Powersports in Dyersburg, TN has a great inventory and even better people to deal with.

Of those 2 I'd get the Honda pioneer. 😂 Seriously though check them out. I had a 700 but wife thought we needed a sport model vs utility so my nephew has it now and I have a Honda Talon. The geared transmission is leaps and bounds ahead of any belt. For around the house and hunting any of them should be fine. If I wasn't getting a Pioneer I'd probably go with the Ranger.

IMG_5397.webp

I'll be the odd one out probably. But I hated my pioneer. Hate the transmission a ton of heat from the engine. Not a fan. Sold it within 2 weeks. I liked our 900 ranger. Didn't like our 570 ranger. Like our 1000 ranger. Our little mule 610 has been the toughest side by side I've ever owned. I know a few people that own canams and love them. Never owned one though.

I went to buy a Ranger 570 in 2016 before I knew anything about the Can Am defender. I test drove one at the dealership and never looked back. Night and day difference. So I have one of the original first year model Defenders and its been through hell and back and still going strong. Pretty much everyone in my circle and half of West TN has traded in their rangers for Can am. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back