President's Island Photos

DSCN0459.jpg

Presidents Island

12pt
4.5 inch bases
20.5 inch beam
17 inch outside spread
149 pounds dressed

No more bucks killed or recovered Sunday evening. Two does were taken late Sunday morning. Had passing rainshowers off and on. It was the warmest hunt in the 5 years I have been going down there. Tough hunting conditions for sure.

Mike, I can tell you based off of three different doe hunts I've been on that this year had significantly less sign than I saw 2 years ago, and the year before that.

In terms of trails, tracks, and droppings, I'd venture to guess that there was only 25% of the sign I've seen in the past. No idea if there are other factors at play (in other words, I'm not trying to speculate that the herd number has dropped by 75%).

A combination of both factors (weather sucked) and a large percentage of the population was wiped out with the flood (TWRA estimates 50-60%... hunters who have hunted before estimated closer to 75%) led to the worst year ever for the island.

I still had a blast, tho... but didn't see a single buck over 2.5

Did have 10-12 deer within easy bow range during the hunt, and did stalk up on a 1.5 y/o buck making a rub while still hunting... go to within 20 yards of him. had to grunt at him to even get his attention.

The island will be back to it's former glory in another 3 years or so... I saw a LOT of 1.5 y/o bucks.... amazing since they would have been born right after the flood!

Also surprising that no monsters were seen or killed... around 150" was the biggest buck taken

Latest posts

Back