• Help Support TNDeer:

Problems with deer

Bullfrog

Its happened before, but nothing like this year. Three times now, i've had a hunt boogered up by either a rampage deer or a whole herd of em thrashing through the woods. Anybody else ever have this problem? Sure is frustrating to have a strutter at 80 yds and a deer busting through in between you.

Deer I can deal with, but cows have tested my patience this year.
The farmer that lets me hunt just bought himself 35 young heifers that just love to chase turkeys :mad:

Oh yeah, deer, buzzard shadows, hawks, people, even cars.

Kinda evens out I guess in a weird sorta way. I have also had turkey spook deer that I was about to get an arrow into.

I have had several occasions where deer were spooked and a whole herd stampeded through where I was headed to hunt. I have found that I just have to take a different route into the area or just leave the truck early and take a very long time getting into the area. If you get out there early enough and spook some deer it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Turkey's are used to hearing all of that commotion and if you spook them early enough, it's very unlikely turkeys will be spooked and fly off that early.

I'm always around deer, but this year has been especially bad about it for some reason. I don't have a problem hunting around cows, but deer, donkeys, and horses are animals i could live without in the spring!

If you can avoid spooking the deer, sometimes the turkeys actually feel more "at ease" around deer (and vice-versa). I often have both deer and turkey feeding within a few yards of each other.

If a deer steps into a clover patch way up in the day (like 11A), you'd be surprised how often a turkey will then appear and feed right along side that deer, or a deer will appear and feed right along side that turkey. I love to have turkeys come by me in mid-afternoon when I'm deer hunting ---- trick is to not spook them. Bedded deer feel OK to get up earlier in the afternnon when turkeys are feeding nearby.

But I do agree that deer have often ruined many a turkey hunt, just that about as often they may be beneficial if you don't spook them.

I just thought about this, but Preston Pittman told me a story one time about a turkey hunt that kept getting boogered up by a cow. The story goes: Every day, for 3 or 4 days in a row, this bird would show up hot as fire and then all the sudden spook(this took place in a cow pasture). Finally, he figured out that one ol cow had been coming up and catching wind of him, causing the cow itself to spook, which in turn, spooked the gobbler....You guessed it...he smeared himself in cow crap so the cow wouldn't spook, and he killed the turkey the very next day. Dude will do anything to kill a turkey!

Latest posts

Back