• Help Support TNDeer:

Recommend a spinning rig.

For the reel you can't go wrong with a pfluegger presidential. And I would just check out the rods and see what you like the feel of.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Rakkin6":2clqdch7 said:
For the reel you can't go wrong with a pfluegger presidential. And I would just check out the rods and see what you like the feel of.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
That's pretty much spot on.
If you wanna spend a little more and get a high quality rod pm sniper and get him to build you one.
Mine is a 7'6" bream crappie and trout killer !

Penn makes some nice reels too. Fierce or Battle series would be great. About a 3000 size. Would also be good casting at the beach, if you ever wanted. To get a medium or MH action, you might have to buy your rod separate. Academy sports has H2O Express rods that seem nice for the money.

chrmayo":2sx0hr17 said:
Ruger what action is yours? Is it super flimsy/whippy
No it's more of a medium action but with a fast tip to play the bream but with enough backbone to set the hook
It's awesome

I use a 7' Ugly stick lite pro with a Mitchell 3500 spinning reel. I can throw an 1/8 oz jig or a plastic worm and still have the backbone to set the hook. I can also burn a buzzbait or spinner bait with it. I can also fish square bill crankbaits. It is my most used rod and I can fish for anything with it. I event took it to mobile bay and caught some sheepshead with it. Absolutely love that setup. and overall I was in less than 100$.

Daiwa 1300 series spinning reels. I have two about 15-20 years old. My main fishing buddy has two over 20 years old. No bail springs to wear out. Great all around med action reels. I back Ruger on the Sniper recommendation. Tell him what you want and he can build it. Had him make me a rod last year strictly for striper fishing. Love my striper stick.

I would also pm RSIMMS for a suggestion. He makes a living guiding fishermen. He would probably know more than most anyone here about quality gear

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RUGER":3k891iqf said:
Rakkin6":3k891iqf said:

That's pretty much spot on.
If you wanna spend a little more and get a high quality rod pm sniper and get him to build you one.
Mine is a 7'6" bream crappie and trout killer !

I won't even try to recommend a rod, but the Pflueger President spinning reels are fantastic!

pfleuger or a step up maybe a shimano sahara or diawa fuego. a shimano nasci will put you in the 100 buck range. all are good reels if you keep them serviced. i use a 2500 size in the shimano and diawa and a 30 size in pfleuger(their spools are smaller than some other reels) for panfish, crappie and drop shot.

my rods are bnm, lews and a couple of cheap berkley and shakespeares. my 2 favorite rods are a 7' bnm sam heaton super sensitive and lews speed shooter both in 7' light and medium light.

Pflueger reels are great...no complaints from me. But I have begun swapping all of mine out for higher end Daiwa spinning reels. I just like them that much.

I trout fish 95% of the time now days, and the other 5% is for panfish. I use two rods for that most of the time. Both are St Croix and one is a 6'4 Light action. It has enough backbone to it to handle 20+ inch trout when I hook up with one, but still has enough play that the smaller trout and 8 to 10 inch bluegill & shell crackers are fun. It's my goto rod most all of the time. It's the 6'4 Panfish series. I have a 6' Trout series but it's a bit too flimsy for my liking...so I almost never use it when I'm in water that my chances are good for hooking into a big trout. I use it when just catching stocker size 10-14 inch trout and panfish.

I do have another rod I like that is sold by the people that make the Trout Magnet lures. It is actually a really nice rod for under $60. It's a bit stiffer rod than the St Croix I have but I use it for throwing jerkbaits and spinners for trout...specifically the size 5 to size 7 Rapalas.

WTM":21dnaq2w said:
pfleuger or a step up maybe a shimano sahara or diawa fuego. a shimano nasci will put you in the 100 buck range. all are good reels if you keep them serviced. i use a 2500 size in the shimano and diawa and a 30 size in pfleuger(their spools are smaller than some other reels) for panfish, crappie and drop shot.

my rods are bnm, lews and a couple of cheap berkley and shakespeares. my 2 favorite rods are a 7' bnm sam heaton super sensitive and lews speed shooter both in 7' light and medium light.

Will second this. The Nasci is a good reel for $100. Id get a Shimano or Daiwa either way though.

Dont got short on the rod especially if its for ultralite. I used to think a 5ft ultralite rod was the way to go. Wrong, I now think. I have 6.5 or 7.5 ft rods for my ultralite to medium weight rods. way more control and versatility for lure/bait weight and ability to cast. I am pretty much a 6ft or over rod length now for all my freshwater fishing. Action wise..still figuring out that one out.

Latest posts

Back