• Help Support TNDeer:

Record shell cracker

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I assume there is a TN state record shellcracker.

Wonder how big it is?

Reason I ask is the couple I gave our fish to yesterday had one that was EASILY over a pound and if I had to guess I would say it weighed a pound and a half.

Just made me wonder.

Im sure its over 2 lbs. had a buddy catch 40 two days in a row a few weeks ago and several were 14 inches and over 1 1/2 lbs each.

Looks like 3 pounds 6 ounces.

I never knew so many different fish were classified as bream.

Not totally sure it was a shellcracker or a pumpkinseed. :confused:

RUGER said:
Looks like 3 pounds 6 ounces.

I never knew so many different fish were classified as bream.

Not totally sure it was a shellcracker or a pumpkinseed. :confused:

I don'ty believe a pumpkinseed gets very big. As a btw-the warmouth is great eating and I have caught them close to a pound.

And stik is dead on-redeared sunfish. They have many names: Chinquapin, shellcraker, mudbream, etc. The warmouth is also called a goggleye, black perch, and rock bass. Most fish have a ton of different names depending on locale.

In many parts of TN they are called black perch or rock bass. They are also known widely as goggleye. Not a good picture but this is one that hit a fluke.

TheFluke008.jpg

I'm just learning all kinds of stuff on this thread. :)I'm glad I asked but sorry about the hijack.

I was about to ask what a fluke is but I figured it out. A fluke is when I actually catch a fish.

According to the TWRA, Bowriter is holding a rock bass in that picture. limit is 20 per day.

I have caught warmouth over 2 lbs. This was MANY years ago in a farm pond. One of them would cover a dinner plate. Probably records, we had no clue. We ate them. Our best bait for them was a 1/2 ounce spinnerbait, they were big. The pond has been gone for over 15 years. I miss it.

Latest posts

Back