• Help Support TNDeer:

Reelfoot tomorrow

the ones i keep out of ky lake taste just like that redfish filet i paid 25 bucks for in destin one time. you just got to filet them so no red meat is showing on the filet.

yep. Had some buddies from eastern NC come here to bowfish with me. They have no freshwater drum there. We shot a few and my buddy said I'm gonna clean these things for no other reason than they are called drum. He called me after they'd got back home and said they tasted just like red drum.

I would think they COULD be better than catfish.

Also amazing how different cultures value different fish species.
In parts of Europe, fishing for carp is much akin to fishing for trout in the U.S.
Also seems many Asian people would prefer carp for the table than catfish.
yeah it all depends on the person and what they are used to eating in fish or perception. i like blue cats(papaw called them white channel cats). i dont care for spotted cats or flatheads, only because pawpaw only caught and sold blue cats and he didnt care for spoted or flatheads either. now, ask someone else what the best tasting catfish is and they will likely say flatheads. probably because they have a taste for flatheads or have eaten a lot of them.

to me some fish are better fried, some are better blackened or baked or broiled. i dont care for fried drum, but i do like it very much blackened or baked/broiled. someone else may like it fried better.

i like bluegills anyway i can get them, fried filet or bone in, blackened and i even make a dip out of them. to me they have a hint of rich crab flavor and i absolutely love crab. on the other end of fish flavors salmon and trout make me want to puke. probably because my stepmother force fed us jack mackeral patties. i couldnt put enough mustard on those things to kill the fishiness.

yeah it all depends on the person and what they are used to eating in fish or perception.
For sure.

I had a Grandfather who had been a "market" hunter (on Reelfoot Lake) in his younger days. At the time, their most common fish they ate while slaughtering ducks was grinnel. I suspect this had more to do with availability than preference, and hungry people will eat what they have, and do what they must to keep from going hungry.

Can't say I've ever found any species of fresh fish that couldn't be "good" (if prepared a certain way), some much better than others. I like the differences, in say trout vs. crappie, etc.

As a child, I many times ate (and enjoyed) fried carp patties prepared by my Grandmother. Kinda thinking I'd like to try some recipes out on some large Asian carp, as see no reason not to take advantage of their being in KY Lake. Wish they weren't there, but if more people were eating them, maybe there wouldn't be as many!

For sure.

I had a Grandfather who had been a "market" hunter (on Reelfoot Lake) in his younger days. At the time, their most common fish they ate while slaughtering ducks was grinnel. I suspect this had more to do with availability than preference, and hungry people will eat what they have, and do what they must to keep from going hungry.

Can't say I've ever found any species of fresh fish that couldn't be "good" (if prepared a certain way), some much better than others. I like the differences, in say trout vs. crappie, etc.

As a child, I many times ate (and enjoyed) fried carp patties prepared by my Grandmother. Kinda thinking I'd like to try some recipes out on some large Asian carp, as see no reason not to take advantage of their being in KY Lake. Wish they weren't there, but if more people were eating them, maybe there wouldn't be as many!
silver carp are great. i gill bleed them and put them on ice immediately. i have since batter fried them and they taste like atlantic cod. i like them very well made up like crab cakes, probably my favorite.

since they are asian, this was my first try.

sorry for hijacking your thread Ruger!

silver carp are great. i gill bleed them and put them on ice immediately. i have since batter fried them and they taste like atlantic cod. i like them very well made up like crab cakes, probably my favorite.

since they are asian, this was my first try.

sorry for hijacking your thread Ruger!
LOL all good here. :D

Latest posts

Back