• Help Support TNDeer:

Reels.

chrmayo

I haven't fished much in a while. Planning to start going a bit more. All of my baitcasters have walked off it seems. What are some decent reels that won't break the bank. Most of my fishing the last few years has been done on lighter spinning rods and ultralites.

What's your budget? Around the $100 mark, there are 2 reels that come to mind. The Daiwa Tatula CT and Shimano SLX XT. Both have a good track record and will last years. If you have larger hands I say Daiwa, or smaller go with the Shimano. On the cheap side ($40-75) I would go with a Lews or Quantum. eBay is usually my shopping place for reels.

Lincoln Co Archer":29eib0d3 said:
What's your budget? Around the $100 mark, there are 2 reels that come to mind. The Daiwa Tatula CT and Shimano SLX XT. Both have a good track record and will last years. If you have larger hands I say Daiwa, or smaller go with the Shimano. On the cheap side ($40-75) I would go with a Lews or Quantum. eBay is usually my shopping place for reels.

+1 for under 100 buck category, id add the diawa fuego ct. i picked a couple up from the gnarly gorilla for 60 bucks shipped. basically, almost the same reel as the tatula ct.

In the $60 dollar range I have a couple Abu Garcia Silvermax reels and a couple low end Lew's that I really like and have got my money's worth out of if they die tomorrow. I also have several Quantum reels with the "PT" designation I bought off eBay for less than $100 each that are really nice. I've never had a $300 reel so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. :tu:

The Daiwa Fuego LT became my favorite spinning reel. Prior to that, I really liked the Pflueger President reels. I only go after trout and panfish so the 2500 series is the perfect size for that. I used the President for years...had them on all my spinning rods but decided to try something different on a new rod I bought. The Fuego LT was it, and now I want one on all my rods.

Crow Terminator":3hdbe0ix said:
The Daiwa Fuego LT became my favorite spinning reel. Prior to that, I really liked the Pflueger President reels. I only go after trout and panfish so the 2500 series is the perfect size for that. I used the President for years...had them on all my spinning rods but decided to try something different on a new rod I bought. The Fuego LT was it, and now I want one on all my rods.

I use Presidents on my ultralights. I can't imagine a better spinning reel! That Daiwa must be something special.

chrmayo":3hlmiaqr said:
I haven't fished much in a while. Planning to start going a bit more. All of my baitcasters have walked off it seems. What are some decent reels that won't break the bank. Most of my fishing the last few years has been done on lighter spinning rods and ultralites.

A great combo to look at that is good and won't break the bank is the Lew's American Hero combo at Academy.

Spurhunter":2nqnze8o said:
Crow Terminator":2nqnze8o said:

I use Presidents on my ultralights. I can't imagine a better spinning reel! That Daiwa must be something special.

I still like my Pfluegers. I have 2 brand new President reels on two of my rods but I had some extra money and had the itch to try something different. I like Daiwa Saltist baitcasters for catfishing and had never had a Daiwa spinning reel. It wasn't easy for me to go away from something I knew I liked. I'm glad I gave it a try though.

chrmayo":33zyfkyu said:
I have some NIB Pflueger Supremes listed in the classifieds if those appeal to you.

RUGER":3a7pyx1b said:
sll":3a7pyx1b said:
RUGER":3a7pyx1b said:
Every once in a while you can catch these on sale for $59.
In my opinion you can't beat them, I have 8 of them and never had a minutes trouble out of any of them.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pr ... tcast-reel
Just FYI for everyone that always wondered ....The BPS reels are made by Pflueger.

No kidding.
I did not know that.
I know I like them.
Pinnacle made them when they first came out and then they swapped over to Pflueger about 8-10 years ago.....according to people I know in the BPS sales anyway. Yes, they are good reels for the money.

Back