• Help Support TNDeer:

Remembering...

CBU93

First, let me say, that I don't post nearly as much as I used to.
Secondly, I don't fish nearly as much as I hunt, and I don't hunt a tenth of what I used to...

As some of you know, my father passed away in June of 2014. His favorite things in life were squirrel hunting with a .22, watching his kids play sports, and wade fishing the creeks of Middle TN for small mouth using an ultra light. A little over a year from his passing, I took my mother back home to deliver some items to my aunt and uncle, as well as allow her to visit unencumbered for a couple of days. The fella who has been married to my cousin for a while sent me a message saying that he would take me fishing when we came.

Now, some of the best times I have had in my life were wade fishing with my Dad when I was growing up. My grandparents were fortunate enough to own a farm in which a very nice creek passed through a good stretch and offered us the opportunities to pursue these fish, on our terms...Ultralight gear, four lb test line. I absolutely love it! It has been over 10 years since I was able to get wet wading and fishing this way. When I made the plans to go and knew I was to go fishing, I grabbed my Dad's ultralight outfit, a Garcia fiberglass ultralight bought in 1964 or 65...changed the reel and spooled up some line.

On Saturday afternoon, my "cousin" and I headed to a stretch of water that he has permission on and has been catching some good fish this year. He went with the express reasons to catch some black perch (redeye or rockbass as some call them) and to put me on some small mouth. Although I did not catch many, or any real monsters, I was proud to catch what I did on the old rod in honor of my Dad. You can see part of the rod in the second pic.

Nice pics and great story! I grew up wading for smallmouth and black perch. After this post I feel like getting out to do just that. Thanks for posting. I know now just the rod and reel I need to take!

That's awesome, Blake! Makes me appreciate the fishing trips I take with me dad.

Now, you got to:
1. post more often! :D
2. post the story when you go squirrel hunting with his rifle.

Sounds like we had childhood lol. Best memories were wAding creeks and squirrel hunts with my dad. Those creek bass put up twice the fight. Thanks for making me think of those good times I will always cherish. I was truly blessed to have a dad that let my tag along all those years.

Latest posts

Back