remington model 700 muzzleloader

turkeyman25

I have a Burris a Leupold and a Nikon and i like the Burris best.They are all clear but the burris gathers light the best

Tiny

Scope is up to you.

Load that mine liked best Barnes Expander 250gr and Spitfire 245gr on top of 90grs loose Triple 7 or Clean Shot with #11 caps.Had to use the MMP sub base with 209's.I haven't tried them in mine but you might want to try the Win Triple 7 209 if your going that way.

Good luck.

Locksley

OLD TIMER
Smokeless powder is even worse for the sport of ML hunting than the crossbow is for the sport bowhunting.

Savage should do the right thing and stop produceing this weapon.

Tennessee should do the right thing and go back to the regs. outlawing the use of smokeless powder during ML hunts.

Folks who want to use smokeless powder should stick to the regular gun hunts.

--------------------
Gettin old ain't fer sissies!

Tiny

Oh hech here we go again.

D.Pilk-
I will be getting me one as soon as I can afford it.Wished they had it in .45 Cal though.
Several topics on here over the past few months on it do a site serach.
From the the In-lines that I have looked at the Savage is the best one I have seen,Haven't heard anyone complain about it untill now.

--------------------
Have a Great Day and God Bless.

Hill Country Hunter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D. Pilk, same here--I'll be getting one as soon as I can afford it. Biggest advantage is that you don't have to CLEAN it every single time you put powder in it. Lower recoil, no smoke cloud, higher velocities, and tighter production tolerances than most muzzleloaders are just a few of the other great things about it. You/he REALLY need to check out http://web.archive.org/web/200701061510 ... ard=Savage , though. They'll help you/him get to its full potential with a lot less time and frustration.

Old Timer, get off your not-so-high horse! Unless you're going to advocate that the muzzleloader season be restricted to to sidelocks shooting full-bore projectiles and using only real blackpowder--and for that matter, if you're really going to be righteous about it, it should just be round balls with cotton (no synthetic crap here) patches in flintlocks and matchlocks--it comes down to nothing more than your preference versus anybody elses. Knight and CVA can take you from 75 yards with a flintlock to 150 or 200; Savage can take you on up to 200 or 250, and without a potentially deer-losing cloud of smoke. What makes one morally superior to the other. What is your objective standard--157.3 yard effective range is "OK," but anything over doesn't belong in muzzleloader season?

What is your reason for resenting smokeless muzzleloader hunters so much, anyway? Is it becuase you feel like they're gonna shoot the deer that you would have if you were using the same gun? Sounds more like Clinton-esque politics ("We got to level the playing field... .") than this sport that is supposed to be about being alone with nature, pitting yourself only against the environment and its wild inhabitants. If you want to say that you prefer to use blackpowder blackpowder substitutes, that it makes you feel nostalgic or gives you more satisfaction to take an animal while under a particular set of self-imposed handicaps, that's fine and I commend you. If you even say that you would prefer to keep the muzzleloader season restricted to primitive weapons, or even just weapons stoked with blackpowder, that is your preference and so be it. HOWEVER, it is laughable to claim that there is something morally inferior about someone else who uses a particular gun, or about a company that manufactures them.

Just my two cents...

--------------------
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. ... May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
-Sam Adams

OLD TIMER Quote
ML hunting is about limiting weapons.
Blackpowder,and replica powders that adhere to the same general pressure levels and curves is what keeps ML's more or less equal and limits their range.
Smokeless powder turns a ML into a slow fireing modern rifle.If they come into general use there will no longer be any real diference between ML and reg. rifle season so there will be no good reason to continue to have "ML" season.

I happen to enjoy ML season.I would like for my children and grandchildren to have an opportunity to enjoy ML season.In my opinion people who endanger the sport by useing smokless powder during ML season display a complete and total lack of consideration for the sport and their fellow hunters just so they can get a bit of an edge.

--------------------

locksley Quote

I still like my old flint-lock and side caplock rifles. I have tried some of those pellets though.

--------------------
To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;"The greatest pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much, and power over nothing" - Herodotus

OLD TIMER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rifles that use smokeless powder are-by any reasonable definition-modern rifles.
It has always been the intent of ML season to exclude modern rifles.
If one brand of modern rifle is allowed,it makes no sence to exclude the rest of them.
If modern rifles are allowed it would no longer be ML season would it?

I've got several modern rifles in the gun rack.Any of them could be loaded from the muzzle.Unless I screwed up and damaged the bullet during the loading process there is no reason to believe that any of them would lose a bit of their range or accuracy.Does this make them ML's?
Does a .300 Wby. mag. ML sound right to you?

DEER ASSASSIN-
As far as loading ML's goes,I care and you and anyone else who's interested in seeing ML season continue should also.I'm not altogether sure why you would want to,but if you really want to use smokeless powder in your treestand and binocs. I don't see where anyone would have a problem with it.

TiminTn-
Tech.(high or low)does not determine weather or not a deer will die when you pull the trigger.What really makes a deference is how well the shooter knows his abilities and equipment,and how willing he is to pass up shots that he is not sure he can make.I would surely hate for you to be disappointed so please be advised that I have been hunting with ML's since about '71,cannot recall right offhand ever having missed a season(although I guess such is posible due to illness or some such),and-to the very best of my knowledge-have never shot a deer that I failed to recover.Thus far I've never used anything other than patched roundball and loose powder(black or pyrodex).Sure am glad that nobody told the deer that they couldn't posibly be killed by such a pitiful load!I'm sure you haven't ever lost a deer you'd shot.

--------------------
http://web.archive.org/web/200307151716 ... orum.shtml

iowavf

I don't know what that last post had to do with your scope question, but I have a 3x9x40 Leupold on my encore and love it. Bought it used for $80. Friend has a Nikon on his encore and it's also a very good scope.

Paul J

I have the Remington for a number of years and love it. The load that has been working for me is the Hornaday XTP mag 300 in front of 110gr of clean shot. That knocked down an eight point in his tracks three years ago at 150 yards. I used to use the 240gr but it didn't have the knock down the 300gr has. Could be my MZ but I had better groups with the heavier bullet to.

The scope I am not much help on as I have always gone cheap on optics.

Locksley

OLD TIMER Quote

Rifles that use smokeless powder are-by any reasonable definition-modern rifles.

That is the reason I use blackpower in all my rifles or a blackpower primer charge the some pryodex for the main portion of the charge. That way I can even get my flintlock to go off with the Pyrodexas a main charge.
I use a 3x9 old Weatherby scope on my Knight inline and it works out ok for me.

Locksley

Re: The next major manufactuer to go smokeless?

?KerryB

"Ain't gonna happen"! All the other manufacturers are still waiting to see if a Savage is going to blow up so they can say "See, we told you so!". Since that "Ain't gonna happen", and they have already warned that smokeless in a muzzleloader isn't safe, they would look pretty stupid to start making a gun that they said isn't safe in the first place. If the other manufacturers suddenly said they were wrong and now they are going to start making a smokeless, then someone would be crazy not to buy the tried and tested Savage instead of the new unproven model. If all the other manufacturers have waited this long, then it's too late now. Savage bravely stepped up to the plate several years ago and they hold the market on factory smokeless muzzleloaders. Smokeless muzzleloading isn't that big a slice of the firearms pie...............but Savage wisely put it on their plate and now the other manufacturers are too busy consolidating, merging and trying to keep their heads above water to try to outsmart Savage at this late point in the game! JMHO, but i've never been wrong before! KerryB

AJ
Since T/C is owned by S&W now, maybe they will start thinking in a new direction. I am not holding my breath, but anything is possible.
http://web.archive.org/web/200709080037 ... 1170708785

My Savage is legal and I will proudly use it.! My reason for going with the Savage in the first place was the superior trigger that comes factory. The extra velocity, clean burning powder and accuracy was just a bonus.

Polecat

Locksley said:
that was a thread about the Remington M/L AND how they are not in the definition of the first M/L seasons

How is the Remington not defined as a ML? I read that thread and I dont see Remington being called out, I read the regs and don't see the Remington being excluded. So what gives? Have I missed something and Remington is now producing a smokeless safe muzzleloader?

To answer your question, I have a Rem 700 ML that is my loaner-back up. For me I'm shootin 100gr of loose pyrodex, a 240gr .451 Nosler partition bullet and a MMP high pressure sabot, for ignition the standard #11 nipple was replaced with a musket cap nipple. Optics originaly was a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 which worked well but was replaced with a BSA illuminated reticle scope. The BSA has given up the ghost and is now in need of replacement.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Depends on how much you want to spend, but "for the money" I have found that a Bushnell Banner scope is pretty hard to beat for a lower end priced scope.
Me and man have 3 of them.

megalomaniac

Scope isn't as important on a ML as a rifle...

But what is important on the Rem 700, is that you occasionally need to disassemble the bolt and clean the firing pin assembly or it will foul up and either freeze on you in the worst possible time or will drop the firing pin with insufficient force to activate the primer, thus causing a misfire.

Trust me, I know... I almost lost a 125" buck 5 years ago due to this!

Locksley

Groundhog
Here's mine from the MZ opener. He showed up promptly at 10:00am.

Savage MZ strikes again

This week I saw a spike, two sixes, a seven and two eights. They seemed to be in cruise mode, but the smaller bucks were more aggressive in checking does than the older bucks. I sure hope the seniors will hold off for the gun opener.

I dunno, heavy. No scales at the checking station or the meat processors either. We're talking Morgan county here. He was at least 150 by three different expert weight guessers.

http://www.thehuntinshack.com/modules.p ... opic&t=346

Latest posts