• Help Support TNDeer:

Removing post site from AR10

BigCityBubba

I recently traded for a AR10. My only complaint is that it has the front post site and I plan to scope it and don't want to have to mount it high enough to see over post. How hard is it to remove? Do I need to replace the barrel as well? Also, its a 7.62, not a 308. I am going to use it for hunting. Do I need to replace the barrel with one in 308?

Unless the scope is very low power the front post will not be seen. Don't mount it any higher than necessary.

If it's 7.62 X 51 you are fine using .308 Winchester. If it's a 7.62X39 it's a totally different caliber and you can't use 308.

It's 7.62x51. I am reluctant to use 308 because a friend was shooting 308 out of an m1a chambered in 7.62x51 and busted an op rod. He was shooting 180gr bullets and backed off to 150s after having op rod replaced and has not had the issue.

7.62x51, you could use 7.62 hunting rds. If the site post is NOT also the gas block, I have heard of people cutting them off. If it is a gas block site you may still be able to cut it off, pictures would help
1000000959.webp
1000000960.webp

If I mount a scope directly behind the post without elevating it above the post, I won't see it?
Nope.

Mount your scope on it and see. Don't Bubba that rifle up by cutting the front post off.

If it's not what you want. Sell it and get what you want. I would not want a front post on any AR.

Keep in mind if you're buying accessories or replacement parts that there is no mil spec for an AR-10 like there is for an AR-15. They may or may not fit/work.

Last edited:
Yeah, that site post has the gas block in it and it is probably pinned to the barrel. I would probably change the entire upper, sell that one. Building out an upper is pretty easy.

Is it a dpms platform lower or other? Like Dave mentioned, they are not all milspec like AR 15's. You would have to know the platform to know which barrel and upper you are changing to. If it is a dpms platform, there are loads of options, but then there is a dpms Gen 2 platform that is different.

Back