• Help Support TNDeer:

River flood stage?

TennSportsman":1i1spqfy said:
I'll take a stab....the hashmarks on the bridge supports?

Those are a reference for the barges to know how much height they have between the water and the bridge. The higher the water gets the lower that number gets unlike the flood stage numbers.

TRIGGER":3s5in172 said:
WTM":3s5in172 said:
lol posted in wrong thread. providence rd bridge guage going toward ft cambell.
click the link and zoom in on the map and hit river observation.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps/forecasts.php

I should have been more clear. The river it at 40.1' from what? Where is the 0' measurement taken from?

from whatever measurement they decided to set the datum(lowest measured level). i believe there is also a measurement where sea level comes into play.

0' on that gage corresponds to elevation 330.9'. So a 40.1' on the gage corresponds to an elevation of 330.9 + 40.1 = 371.0' water surface elevation at the gage. That is the thing I would want to know, for reference to surrounding elevations and base floor elevations.

Andy S.":vbcynei2 said:
0' on that gage corresponds to elevation 330.9'. So a 40.1' on the gage corresponds to an elevation of 330.9 + 40.1 = 371.0' water surface elevation at the gage. That is the thing I would want to know, for reference to surrounding elevations and base floor elevations.

Thank you. Do you know why 330.9 was designated as the zero?

TRIGGER":2tzcawpx said:
Andy S.":2tzcawpx said:

Thank you. Do you know why 330.9 was designated as the zero?
Not exactly, possibly a historical low water mark or something like that. I'll dig around and see what I can come up with.

USGS gage height is measured at various locations, usually bridges, and from what I've seen observing the USGS stations around my area, it's a metal pipe going down the bank into the bottom of the river. I'm assuming the river height is measured off the bottom of the river wherever the pipe goes in. TVA on the other hand does sea level height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back