• Help Support TNDeer:

Rookie Xbow Questions:

T. J. Mercer

Appreciate your help fellas,

Long-time bowhunter.
Will always prefer compound over x, but either hunting a field (range) or bad shoulder might cause me to occasionally use the xbow.
Also, I like introducing folks to archery/hunting, and it's a good/easier segway to get them in the treestand bowhunting.

I picked up a Wicked Ridge Rampage XS. (rated up to 390fps)
It's loud.
Some shots feel insanely accurate.
Some shots seem off.

1) If I'm using a sled or rest and not firmly seating the butt/stock (in my shoulder), will the "looseness" of the release affect accuracy?
2) What's the best-used practices for dampening the noise these things generate?
3) If anyone has this particular model, how far out do you feel it can consistently shoot accurately?
4) Do you have any other suggestions or pitfalls you can share?

Thanks!

You can buy some Bowjax dampeners and it will help. It's still not going to be anywhere as quiet as a vertical bow.

I would try shooting it with firm pressure on your shoulder and see if that helps your accuracy. If not, it's likely the arrows. The included factory arrows aren't that great. You can purchase some custom arrows and that will help accuracy greatly. I use AJ's Custom Arrows for most of mine.

Keep your strings, cables and rail lubricated. I use Trident pure silicone grease everywhere but the serving on the string. A little goes a long way so use sparingly. I like Scorpion Vemon bow wax for the string center serving.
Good luck to you this year!

You can buy some Bowjax dampeners and it will help. It's still not going to be anywhere as quiet as a vertical bow.

I would try shooting it with firm pressure on your shoulder and see if that helps your accuracy. If not, it's likely the arrows. The included factory arrows aren't that great. You can purchase some custom arrows and that will help accuracy greatly. I use AJ's Custom Arrows for most of mine.

Keep your strings, cables and rail lubricated. I use Trident pure silicone grease everywhere but the serving on the string. A little goes a long way so use sparingly. I like Scorpion Vemon bow wax for the string center serving.
Good luck to you this year!

Thanks!
I switched from using a sled to just having a rest and firmly seating it in my shoulder, and my consistent results were immediate.
I'm now dialed into about a 1.5" group at 40yds, and I know that's nothing to complain about, but I guess all the YouTube videos out there make me believe I can shoot tighter at further distances . . .

Bowjax dampeners, I will check them out!
I have Monkey Tails and other similar brand items for our compounds and can always tell an immediate difference when I add them.
I'm used to string stops and am a little surprised to see this xbow has none.
This xbow has nothing in the way of dampening . . .
They're pretty standard on compounds, but I'm not as familiar enough with xbows to know how prevalent they are on various models.

Thanks again for the help!

Back