• Help Support TNDeer:

Rutting Activity in October ?

.243 Deer

I'm in the stand right now and just heard 2 bucks sparring/rattling and snort wheezing at each other. I've never heard it before in October and it seems really early for all that. What's more is the bucks sounded big (deep grunt, deep snortwheeze, heavy sounding rattling).

I am also seeing the does keep looking over their backs and their top back ends look ruffled up like a buck has been after them. Only other time I've seen them act or look like this is in late November.

Really odd (but kind of awesome !) and I'm curious whether anyone is experiencing the same or has any information on it ? I'm in Middle Tennessee if that helps.

Last edited:
I'm in the stand right now and just heard 2 bucks sparring/rattling and snort wheezing at each other. I've never heard it before in October and it seems really early for all that.

I am also seeing the does keep looking over their backs and their top back ends look ruffled up like a buck has been after them. Only other time I've seen them act or look like this is in late November.

Really odd (but kind of awesome !) and I'm curious whether anyone is experiencing the same or has any information on it ? I'm in Middle Tennessee if that helps.
Your area may be having a strong "false" rut. I'm sure BSK will chime in but best I remember he said it will occur exactly 28 days prior to the real deal. Some years it ends up being really strong for some reason. I've seen it once before and it was an incredible two days of hunting / activity.

Your area may be having a strong "false" rut. I'm sure BSK will chime in but best I remember he said it will occur exactly 28 days prior to the real deal. Some years it ends up being really strong for some reason. I've seen it once before and it was an incredible two days of hunting / activity.
Yup, we traditionally see a big surge in sparring, scrapping and chasing one cycle prior to peak breeding.

I guess because it's something "new" to them, I find yearling bucks just can't get enough of sparring. They seem to want to do it constantly.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.MP4
    30.4 MB
  • IMG_0020.MP4
    30.4 MB
I guess because it's something "new" to them, I find yearling bucks just can't get enough of sparring. They seem to want to do it constantly.

I get them doing it before velvet even comes off. Soon as horns are hard enough to lose sensitivity, they start pushing each other around.

1729438404687.webp

Thanks y'all ! I've never heard of a fake rut before but it makes sense. Thanks for the explanation! Tn Deer has some really knowledgeable members.
Yes some really knowledgeable members here for sure. Me on the other hand is not one of them. By the way welcome to the forum.

Yep as said above typical pre rut activities. Testosterone getting higher. Think of it like a teenage boy they are always ready before the lady's. In the last 7 to 10 days I've seen all of our bachelor groups break up.

Here in Hamilton Co I started seeing the sparring in mid-September.. but that wasn't so uncommon, but by mid-October there were some acting like they do during the rut.. I will keep watch as stated above that the next cycle will be the rut.

Attachments

• IMG_0098.webp
    IMG_0098.webp
    344.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0101.webp
    IMG_0101.webp
    390.8 KB · Views: 1
What you are seeing is younger buck dispersion and trying to establish pecking order. This is what I refer to as pre rut activity. It not only is an uptick in sparring, but daylight activity starts picking up. Also the bucks tend to push does around and start the seeking phase of the rut. Most does are not ready to breed for a few more weeks. That is the blueball phase that tends to lead to more serious fights.

As a note, I just put all that other jargon there to say blueball phase.

Latest posts

Back