• Help Support TNDeer:

Salt recomendations

tasaman

My boys and I are taking a fishing road trip. One of our destinations will be to the gulf. Don't care where as long as my boys (10 and 12) get to catch some fish. I really don't think they care what they catch but being boys they probably would like to catch something with bragging rights. So if you had two younguns and a couple days where would you take them? Orange beach charter? That big pier? I'm open to suggestions and have a two week window. I should add that I'd like to keep the fishing part of this leg of the trip to less than $600 for everybody and the less the better so we can hit more destinations.

Come on guys. Don't keep your secret spots or chaters too secret now. I have had a few vague reccomendations from guys I know local that used to fish there years ago but don't know current info. Redheadshooter has been very helpful but may be farther than we wanted to go. I know more of you have to know something we can get into. I am leaning to either Destin or Orange Beach.

Check out Cedar Key. Its inshore fishing. I highly recommend Capt Dennis Voyles especially if you got kids. He is a retired school teacher. He can put you on anything from specs to 10 ft hammerheads. You can go out one day with him and then rent a boat and fish on your own the rest of the time you are there.

There's a few deep sea fishing charter options around gulf shores area that'll put you in constant red snapper for around $80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfranklin996":1m3omiga said:
There's a few deep sea fishing charter options around gulf shores area that'll put you in constant red snapper for around $80.

So just do a search for gulf shores charters?

Yeah I know it's pretty vauge but I think it was reel surf or something to that effect. Started with reel anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect Cast Charters,inshore/bay fishing for redfish,trout,sharks,tarpon depending on the time of year. Good friend of mine that I fish with several times a year. He mostly fishes out of Indian Pass and Port St. Joe/Mexico Beach area,with some trips in Panama City Beach,but the fishing is a lot better in St. Joe area. I can give you his number or you can look him up on Facebook. He catches a ton of fish, you won't be disappointed.

Just got back from Ft Morgan- I bought a charter for my dad and my FIL- It was the 3 of us and the Capt- Capt Perry. We caught Cobia and big Red Snapper. Was under $600 for 5 hrs- You can text or call him for more info 251.550.5588 Was a very pleasant trip

10 and 12 may be a little young for offshore fishing. Some of those fish can flat out pull, and conditions can be rough. An option to consider is inshore speckled trout/flounder/redfish. It will be High volume fishing...close to a fish every cast. Given the complexity of the Bayou and inshore waters you can nearly always find a place where it isn't rough.

Capt. Richard Rutland
http://coldbloodedfishing.com/

He's got an awesome new boat a 2016 25-ft Contender. It should be easily within your budget too even with gratuity less than $600.

For an offshore fishing charter I'd recommend Captain Bobby on the Mrs Brianna for a short (4-6hr hr trip) or Captain Dale Woodruff for a longer (full day or overnight) on the Class act. http://www.classactfishing.net/ However both of those will be well over $600 especially after gratuity.
http://www.gulfshorefishingcharters.com/

jfranklin996":3m0p1kjh said:

Yes there are a few(80 might be a little low) but surely 100-125 dollars. I was a deckhand on a boat like that one Summer. Expect to be packed on the boat with a lot of people you don't know, many tangled lines and frustrated fishermen. Little help from the inexperienced deckhands, old equipment etc... But it is a cheap option.

I have checked out all the ones you have informed me about. Some quality fishing to be sure. Some were booked solid and that is a good sign and I may use them in the future. I still haven't made up my mind yet. I did just encounter a SNAFU with my youngest boy doesn't want to fish. Typical of him but I will just get him on as a rider not a fisherman and if he decides to change his mind pay the difference. He can play with bait and be just as happy as catching a 30lb snapper. lol

Just an FYI, but check the saltwater regulations for whichever state you choose. There are pretty limited seasons on red snapper and grouper these days. I think (but am not sure) that the season is over for the red snapper. You may catch them all day long, but you won't be able to bring them home if the season is out.

If you are wanting some action at a lesser cost and the opportunity to put some fillets in the cooler, you may want to consider an inshore trip where the season will be open for most species. Even then, there will be size/slot limits.

I love to fish offshore, but suspect I may have gone on my last trip due to the severe restrictions that they have put on sport fishermen. But, they keep increasing the quotas for the commercial fishermen. Politics at its "best"........

If you are around Orange Beach and do a charter you might want to fish the Gulf Shores Pier for a day or two. The nonresident license for you would be $11.00 , none neededfor your sons. The pier permit would cost you $9.00 for you and $9.00 for the 12 yr old and $5.00 for the youngest. You can even rent rods and reels there. You would have a shot at King mackeral, Spanish mackeral, bluefish , jack cravelle, and bull redfish, flounder , specs, and could play with the sharks, just not land them. Check out gulf shores pier forum for lots of info. It is a hit and miss situation on what you can catch.

I was there this past week and most of the king bite was around daylight. Bluefish were plentiful throughout most days. The bull reds made a few appearances and close to dark the day I was there in the afternoon. I targeted the kings and wound up with one on one morning and had some good bites on other mornings that came unbuttoned. I stayed out of the bull red melee one afternoon , but could have had a good shot at one of those. Hooked one smaller shark while after the Kings and got him back to the pier to break him off and one large one that I finally got off after he nearly unspooled me a couple of times.
It could be an inexpensive fishing alternative, but some days the catching can be tough.

We ended up on a party boat from Orange Beach. The America II. I don't recommend it to anyone looking for a quality experience however they did try real hard to do us right. Was on a 6 hour trip and for 5 hours we went from spot to spot only to find the current wouldn't let us fish without getting tangled with each other. I mean the current was really ripping in some places. We finally landed on a spot that produced but again current blew us off the spot instantly. We repositioned about 7 times. Until this time we have had our lines in the water less than an hour over a 5 hour period. Next spot was a calmer current and also started producing fish. We stayed 1 and a half ours later than our 6 hour trip so we could catch fish which was really decent of the captain.

Fish we caught were 1 15" cobia (a first for me) released he was short of the 33" minimum, and two vermillion. My oldest was the luckier of our group with 7 reds and another from our group got 6 vermillion and 1 unidentified fish. My youngest got 0 and it's tough to get through to him that he wanted to use the bait he was using and trying to catch a bigger fish so the smaller ones were not going to bite. He was using a 8" fish for live bait because one guy caught a *guessing* 25'lb amberjack that had to go back in out of season. Great idea however he ended up getting skunked. I had a mate switch out his rig to a bottom rig and threw on a couple pieces of squid and he had a bite in about 1 minute. Fish got off but he was happy with a bite at least.

An exciting side note I got to first aid with medic on a guy at the dock. Had a seizure from taking sea sickness meds and dehydration. Was scary for a minute he actually stopped breathing and we were about to start CPR but he started breathing on his own.

Latest posts

Back