• Help Support TNDeer:

Saltwater trolling motor

scn

I have a trip coming up in the next couple of weeks down to Cape San Blas where I will be on St. Josephs Bay. I'm having motor issues that likely won't be resolved in time for me to take my bigger boat, so I am pondering on a Plan B. I have a wide Riverhawk that should be OK on the bay unless it is really windy that would open up some trout and redfish for me. But, I don't want to use the freshwater trolling motor I have for it.

Before I call Bass Pro in Tallahassee to buy a transom mount saltwater trolling motor to pick up when I get down there (local doesn't have it, and I don't want to trust their shipping), I thought I would check on here to see if anyone has one sitting around that they would like to sell.

Thanks,
Steve

Wished I could help.... have fun down there. I see it's been raining a ton since I've been home.

I want to get a guys trip up in a few weeks and head down to fish and relax. Hopefully

Just got back and man it was awesome there! Lots of kayaks in the bay along with bigger boats last week. It did rain the first 3 days quite a bit but the afternoons were mostly pretty and the last 2 days were just beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCN, I have always had my best luck just drifting over the grass beds in St. Joe's bay with pinfish below popping corks for specks. I don't even use a trolling motor down there anymore. Just find the grass bed you want to fish and let the wind drift you across it. Unless, that is you are fishing the bank edges and then you will definitely need a trolling motor.

I know you have tarpon fished down there several times but have you spent any time fishing the bay for specks? If not let me know and I can show you a few areas I have fished that have been productive.

We caught several specks and reds about half mile to the right of Dockside café (I think its the 3rd dock with the lift on it, private dock). But that's where we launch from though. Then back up towards the Cape across from the fire station.

From the research I've done on it, there really is no reason you couldn't use your freshwater trolling motor down there.

The actual motor portion of Fresh and Salt motors are sealed the exact same way. From what I'm told, saltwater motors simply have some extra sealant/protection in the electronics in the motor head to help it withstand longterm saltwater spray/use.

I think it's just like your fishing reels.... as long as you "rinse down" with freshwater when you come off the Bay, your freshwater TM will be just fine. I know I have used mine down there on more than one occasion without any problems.

Latest posts

Back