• Help Support TNDeer:

Same deer . . . I think?

Southern Sportsman

11040623.webp

IMG_7611.webp

There are a couple of obvious differences. If it is the same deer, the left side fork jumped from his g2 to his g3, and whatever the issue was with his right side got straightened out. But the apparent age (I guessed him as 3.5 last year and he looks 4.5 to me this year), the overall shape of his left side, and the fact that even his nubby right side was forked last year, all make me think this is the same deer. Agree or disagree?

FYI, I didn't realize the data strip was turned off, but the second pic is from the last couple weeks.

Boy, the overall shape of his left antler looks extremely close between the two pictures. I lean towards it being the same buck.
Curious for an expert's opinion.

How common is it for a unique antler characteristic (like a forked tine) to "move" from one tine to another over successive years?

And (assuming it's the same deer) what would cause the right side deformity to appear for just one year? It has been my understanding (perhaps incorrectly) that pedicle injuries usually cause a permanent deformity on the injured side, but maybe it depends on timing and severity?

I don't say it enough, but it's nice to have you around, BSK!

Curious for an expert's opinion.

How common is it for a unique antler characteristic (like a forked tine) to "move" from one tine to another over successive years?
Don't have enough data to say.
And (assuming it's the same deer) what would cause the right side deformity to appear for just one year? It has been my understanding (perhaps incorrectly) that pedicle injuries usually cause a permanent deformity on the injured side, but maybe it depends on timing and severity?
Could be the result of a body injury. And some body injuries - once they heal - no longer produce a deformed antler.

Latest posts

Back