• Help Support TNDeer:

Sandhill crane hunters

Unless you have the time to drive around to scout and once you've found a field they are using and gain permission, hiring a guide is the best avenue you could take. We hired a guide on the east side because he was local and knew where the birds were using. We'd never found that field, much less gained permission.

That time of year for the quota hunt. I'm new at this so who's ever hunted them and what would be best way? I'm in western Tennessee. Do you get a guide once you draw? thanks

Ever since TWRA went to the 100% online draw system, sandhill permit availability has plummeted. I got drawn 3 years in a row, then got skunked 3 years in a row.

In West Tennessee, there's really only one available option because the tiny population that winters at the Hop-In Refuge (biggest nearby town is Martin) stays very local. The one dude that guides them up there is about the only game in town, and his guide fees reflect that. The third time I used him, his fee was at $200 per gun. This past season, it's $300 per gun. Dude's name is Chris Knight (Knight's Retrievers), and he's a pretty stand-up guy. (731) 592-5740. You can bet he's gonna book out early, not long after the draw results are posted. But if you've never put in, don't expect to get drawn for a couple years now. I had (2) priority points last year, TAFKAP Jr. had (1), and the two other guys I had with me also had (2) points.

It is a very fun shoot, especially if the birds are working. They're fairly sensitive to conditions, and don't like to work into decoys unless the sun is shining bright. Eating sandhill crane is a new experience in delicious, but with only (2) permits allowed per person, it's getting hard to justify the cost.

Great info GUNNERX2 and TAFKAP. It's my second time to put in for the draw. I was going on a 2 day hunt up in Lubbock Texas but dad gum covid screwed that up. I've been reminded that, "well, this isn't Texas", when I've mentioned the 3 bird daily limit. That would justify the cost.
It does look like a fun shoot and I sure would like to get in on some of that. Good luck to all that applied.

Just curious. I quite often have these birds land in a tree over a creek that runs thru our property. Pic was taken from the front porch and is as much as my phone would zoom. Is this a Sandhill crane ?

1000003903.webp

Just curious. I quite often have these birds land in a tree over a creek that runs thru our property. Pic was taken from the front porch and is as much as my phone would zoom. Is this a Sandhill crane ?

View attachment 242404
That's a great blue heron. They are year round resident fish eaters. A lot of folks refer to herons and egrets as cranes because they all have pointy bills but that's where the similarities end. Cranes eat waste grain and grass sprouts.

Once you get drawn, you have to take the Sandhill Crane identification test. One of the features distinguishing a crane from a heron is that the heron's neck is curved, and a Crane is a straight-necked bird.

Latest posts

Back