• Help Support TNDeer:

Sawtooth?

Football Hunter

This will be this trees 5th summer I think.Has had little acorns like this the last 2 years,but drop them in early Sept or so the last 2 years.

What do you think? Age? Drought? Heat? Some of all?

0609121830.jpg

If dropping before maturity then it would be due to some sort of stressor. Do you know if the nuts were mature or not before dropping in Early September? What is the sunlight exposure? I see a treeline that looks to be close.

richmanbarbeque said:
Stress from heat. Bet the root system is still fairly shallow. Water, water, water. Let's build you something to self water with.
Thats what I think it is,late summer drought,but I was just looking at the radar,should be pouring there soon :) Need to collect water some way,and find a way to use it there.Thinking of making a lean to,with a couple of water barrels being filled off a gutter system,doesnt take much rain to fill em,and would let me put a bunch of water on them .

Sawtooths do drop early. They make excellent bow spots for very early bow season. There are two types of sawtooh the regular and gobbler sawtooth. Sawtooth are the fastest growing of all oak trees. They start producing at around 5 years and a mature sawtooth can produce up to 1200 pounds of acorns a year. Therefore, they are not really good oramental trees. I have planted several, they like little competition for their water source. They do much better when there is little to no vegetation around the base and under the branches.

A/M/G said:
Sawtooths do drop early. They make excellent bow spots for very early bow season. There are two types of sawtooh the regular and gobbler sawtooth. Sawtooth are the fastest growing of all oak trees. They start producing at around 5 years and a mature sawtooth can produce up to 1200 pounds of acorns a year. Therefore, they are not really good oramental trees. I have planted several, they like little competition for their water source. They do much better when there is little to no vegetation around the base and under the branches.
agree with that,none of the 100 or so trees I have planted have any weeds/grass growing inside the drip line,or dont for very long,I spray once a month,or when needed with gly.

camoman270 said:
Sawtooths are early droppers and the time you are describing sounds to be "on time".......from what i have been told.
Maybe,but they are very small,I have a friend who has some that are 15 years old or so ,and usually have some till mid October or so.

Is it possible you got Gobbler Sawtooths? This sort of thing is impossible to diagnose without knowing all variables but just an idea. Gobblers are smaller and have drop times listed Sept-October. Which any drop time can vary even within the same cultivar of acorn, apple, pear or anything.

Not supposed to be Gobblers Steven,but I guess its possible,but dont think so.I think.......they are just still a little young,and the late summer heat and lack of rain makes em drop for self presurvasion. sp?

Latest posts

Back