• Help Support TNDeer:

Self inflating PFD?

I have 3 or 4 of the ones academy sells.. one exploded last year when a wet beach towel got laid on it.. id buy another one in a heartbeat..

What he means is the dissolvable disk got wet and initiated inflation of the vest. Automatic PFD's are two types, one style uses a dissolving disk/wafer that triggers the device when it gets wet, the second type is hydrostatic and triggers when a certain amount of water pressure is encountered like submersion in a foot of water. These are called "HIT" systems, made by Mustang. The Mustang HIT units will not inflate due to rain or casual moisture like the dissolving trigger type vests. I highly recommend the Mustang Elite vest, very comfortable and I wear mine 100% of the time while in the boat.

Buccaneer":j61cpyve said:
What he means is the dissolvable disk got wet and initiated inflation of the vest. Automatic PFD's are two types, one style uses a dissolving disk/wafer that triggers the device when it gets wet, the second type is hydrostatic and triggers when a certain amount of water pressure is encountered like submersion in a foot of water. These are called "HIT" systems, made by Mustang. The Mustang HIT units will not inflate due to rain or casual moisture like the dissolving trigger type vests. I highly recommend the Mustang Elite vest, very comfortable and I wear mine 100% of the time while in the boat.

I fully understand how both systems operate. The term "exploded" is not how I would describe a self inflating vest activating itself. That's why I questioned the statement.

Thanks for your input on the Mustang Elite. Several friends and others have recommended Mustang and I'll be picking up a couple of them.

onyx a-24 when the big motor is on and if i'm by myself i wear it while fishing

mustang deluxe MD3183 if its raining, its hydrostatic

id buy both these again. lightweight and comfortable.

I have a couple of the bass pro a/m models. They have the disc that dissolves. I've worn them in rain that was sideways and never had a problem. I did have one explode a couple months ago and I still don't know why. It's a pretty scary thing when you're not expecting it. Glad it was sitting in the seat when it happened. It was an older vest... 5 years or so that I hadn't replaced the disc on.

I prefer to wear the old timer models that zip and don't require co2. I wear them when it's cold and sometimes when it's not if I plan on making long runs at higher speed.

SilverFox":11rqd3i2 said:
I have a couple of the bass pro a/m models. They have the disc that dissolves. I've worn them in rain that was sideways and never had a problem. I did have one explode a couple months ago and I still don't know why. It's a pretty scary thing when you're not expecting it. Glad it was sitting in the seat when it happened. It was an older vest... 5 years or so that I hadn't replaced the disc on.

I prefer to wear the old timer models that zip and don't require co2. I wear them when it's cold and sometimes when it's not if I plan on making long runs at higher speed.

I had a BPS vest with the disc. The first time it went off was after a fishing trip that involved rain. I parked the boat outside in the sun to dry. When I came back outside it was inflated. I ordered a new arming kit and installed it. Two weeks later I was fishing in the rain and poof went the vest. I gave it away and went back old school.
Interesting about the different system the mustangs have. I'll look into those.

I always put my jackets in the truck if they get wet and then hang them up to dry when I get home. I've heard stories of people putting them up wet and them exploding. Mine are at least 5 years old and that one false inflation is all I've had. I still have a hard time trusting them. It's hard to find a good jacket that'll fit a bigger guy. Mustang doesn't make one that'll fit me for winter use since I have heavy gear on. I wanted their 100mph jacket but fat guys are out of luck.

I have for years worn auto inflating life vest, but don't wear them in cold water usually. I heard stories of cold weather and cold water not letting them properly infate. Warm weather I always wear one.

Ps. You must have a normal life vest appropriate size for ever one in the boat, unless you never take off vest until you get back on land. You will get a ticket if taken off while in boat and no traditional life vest to fit you available.

Children also can't wear auto/manual life vest either.

This was confirmed by on water TWRA agent and I also called regine 3 office and was back up same info on auto vest must be worn at all times to be considered legal vest

per, Tennessee Boating Handbook

*All vessels must have at least one wearable(TypeI,II,III,orV) USCG–approved PFD (life jacket) for each person on board.

and the auto inflatable is type III. i guess i need to look in to this.

Buccaneer":19z3uaz1 said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I use the Mustang Elite vest too! It is very comfortable and I wear it 100% of the time when I am out on the water. There are cheaper models, but you pay for what you get. :super:

I know this is the wrong forum. But since we're on the subject, what kind of PFDs do you guys use during waterfowl hunting? Given all the excess weight and layers of gear/clothing, what would work in this situation?

Latest posts

Back