• Help Support TNDeer:

Self inflating PFD?

drrxnupe":qf5jm3hv said:
I know this is the wrong forum. But since we're on the subject, what kind of PFDs do you guys use during waterfowl hunting? Given all the excess weight and layers of gear/clothing, what would work in this situation?

PFDs that will fit over your bulky clothing should float you OK if you go in. The key is finding something big enough that it will fit over everything in a camo or neutral color. The cheap orange yoke type will work if you have a place to store them so they don't spook the ducks once you get to your destination, but camo or dark colors are more convenient.

When I was heavy into duck hunting, I wore a Stearn's float coat http://www.go2marine.com/product/93749F ... IAQAvD_BwE

It has the advantage of keeping you warmer if you do go in as well as floating you. Expensive, yes, but what is your life worth to your family?

But, the key is ALL must be worn to protect you. Trying to put one on in the water is hard, even in normal pool temps. As officers, we did drills where we went into a pool in our uniform with weight belts on that were the approx. wt of our duty belts and put on a thrown pfd. It was a struggle even in those conditions. In frigid waters, it might just be too much.

Wayne (4214) made a great point in another thread that in super cold water, inflatable pfds may not fully inflate from the cartridge. All are supposed to have an auxillary inflation tube to blow into, but that is just one more thing to worry about.

A wearable vest will provide more warmth and protection of your core body temps if you go in, and you don't have to worry about the full inflation. But, if you are NOT going to wear it, but would wear an inflatable pfd, that is going to be better than the wearable vest sitting in a storage locker.

If I spent much time on the winter water either duck hunting or fishing, I would be geared out in a flotation coat ( http://www.go2marine.com/product/93749F ... IAQAvD_BwE) that will both float you and keep you MUCH warmer if you go in.

Latest posts

Back