• Help Support TNDeer:

Sewn eye tether?

Iglow

I'm going trough all my saddle setup and wondered about this. I swapped out the factory 8mm tether line for an 11mm one and had an overhand knot for the loop but it's bulky and knots are weak. From what info I can gather a sewn eye is much stronger than a knot so I was gonna get a spool of 65 or 80 lbs braid and sew the crap out of it for the loop. I'm also gonna sew it with a heavy nylon thread so I'm not depending on 1 thing to hold the loop. Any thoughts on this?
Here's a formula I found if it's right; Thread strength (65) x number of stiches (200) x 1.5 (cause it's doubled) = 19,500 lbs so the rope is long broken.

Last edited:
I'm going trough all my saddle setup and wondered about this. I swapped out the factory 8mm tether line for an 11mm one and had an overhand knot for the loop but it's bulky and knots are weak. From what info I can gather a sewn eye is much stronger than a knot so I was gonna get a spool of 65 or 80 lbs braid and sew the crap out of it for the loop. I'm also gonna sew it with a heavy nylon thread so I'm not depending on 1 thing to hold the loop. Any thoughts on this?
Here's a formula I found if it's right; Thread strength (65) x number of stiches (200) x 1.5 (cause it's doubled) = 19,500 lbs so the rope is long broken.
Dont do it! If moneys that tight i will buy you one brother!!! Dont want you falling twenty feet due to faulty stitching!!! Seriously pm me and address

Is the knot weakening the line worse? I just had an overhand knot for the loop, would some other kind be better?

If you're putting the end of your tether through the loop I'm not sure of a knot that won't eventually close on itself. I use a scaffold knot tied onto a oval quick link, and a tether locker to keep it in place and from sliding down the tree.

BT

Back