• Help Support TNDeer:

Shaping up to be another banner year

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Got off a bit early on Friday but couldn't go fishing due to family issues.

Could have gone Saturday but promised to help a buddy.

Sure enough, free all day Sunday with nothing to do and a cold front rolls in Saturday night. :bash:

Growing very tired of that weather pattern.

RUGER":1xlpdd5l said:
Got off a bit early on Friday but couldn't go fishing due to family issues.

Could have gone Saturday but promised to help a buddy.

Sure enough, free all day Sunday with nothing to do and a cold front rolls in Saturday night. :bash:

Growing very tired of that weather pattern.

We'll, I was all primed to go Sat till I saw Steve Mcs fishing report on Friday and decided to just work on bee stuff. The lake is still falling and crappie reports were not good. They did alright with the bass during one tournament last weekend but have fallen off since.

Thought I might go to Garrett this afternoon and then I saw how much of a front we had and just decided Iam spending the day in watching bb. It is bound to get better one of these days.

At least I should be good for Sat fishing all spring since I am getting my bees all caught up.
Trout trip coming one of these days, Ruger.

Just got back from KY lake, they have it almost back to winter pool and still pretty stained.
Lost of boats on the water but everyone seemed to be in "search mode" did not see any boats sitting in one spot very long and heard of no one catching numbers or quality crappie.

X-Tennessean":2h4dnf0l said:
Just got back from KY lake, they have it almost back to winter pool and still pretty stained.
Lost of boats on the water but everyone seemed to be in "search mode" did not see any boats sitting in one spot very long and heard of no one catching numbers or quality crappie.
friends of mine fished the tie yard on ky lake Friday when it opened to the public. One boat had 25 crappie between 2 men and the other boat had 41 crappie between 2 men. Yes they miscounted and that 1 extra fish cost him a $360 ticket. I think it was an honest mistake but the game warden had to do his job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbhunter":1cw3acvm said:
Yes they miscounted and that 1 extra fish cost him a $360 ticket. I think it was an honest mistake but the game warden had to do his job.

Wow, that sucks.
Best numbers I have heard of though. :)

cbhunter":3d81ynwz said:
X-Tennessean":3d81ynwz said:
friends of mine fished the tie yard on ky lake Friday when it opened to the public. One boat had 25 crappie between 2 men and the other boat had 41 crappie between 2 men. Yes they miscounted and that 1 extra fish cost him a $360 ticket. I think it was an honest mistake but the game warden had to do his job.

Best I have heard in a while, but that ticket sure sucks!! Ouch
Didn't know the fine was that high and don't wanna find out for sure!!

cbhunter":1voilu6w said:
One boat went back today and they caught 9. I was wrong on the price of the ticket.... I went back and looked it, it was only 325

Ya know, I understand the ticket and don't blame the officer at all but I got to thinking about this last night.
I wonder how many "locals" up there will go out and take a limit for everyone in their boat and then go back to the ramp and either pull out and go to the house or the "cabin" and unload and go right back out and do it again.... and again... and again in one day?

RUGER":3breqp7q said:
cbhunter":3breqp7q said:
One boat went back today and they caught 9. I was wrong on the price of the ticket.... I went back and looked it, it was only 325

Ya know, I understand the ticket and don't blame the officer at all but I got to thinking about this last night.
I wonder how many "locals" up there will go out and take a limit for everyone in their boat and then go back to the ramp and either pull out and go to the house or the "cabin" and unload and go right back out and do it again.... and again... and again in one day?

And then complain how the fishing has gone down the tubes a year or two later...

MickThompson":2m2jq6d3 said:
RUGER":2m2jq6d3 said:
cbhunter":2m2jq6d3 said:

And then complain how the fishing has gone down the tubes a year or two later...

EXACTLY! !!!

I have heard several times (from locals) about the "people from Missiouri" and the "people from up North" for years but none of them crying about that ever say anything about Mr. XYZ that lives next door to their cabin keeping 700+ crappie in a 5 day span in the spring.
Or Mr. ZXY that lives two doors down selling quart bags of crappie as fast as he can catch, clean and freeze them.
Bout half way pisses me off.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

I used to hear rumors of secret compartments for undersized sauger while that fishery was declining on Ky Lake since nobody could hardly catch a keeper. And now it's basically in full on collapse. There used to be 40 boats rafted up on the weekends but now you'll have it all to yourself.

MickThompson":1oysrs2z said:
I used to hear rumors of secret compartments for undersized sauger while that fishery was declining on Ky Lake since nobody could hardly catch a keeper. And now it's basically in full on collapse. There used to be 40 boats rafted up on the weekends but now you'll have it all to yourself.

Do you think it is because of overharvesting?
Just curious, I know nothing of sauger except they taste really good and look like a dinasour :)

cbhunter":13hrybcp said:
Great points guys. Honestly, it has never even crossed my mind about locals doing that but it makes perfect sense.

Of course not all do.
I promise you, some do though. Alot.

MickThompson":10e5wzbn said:

we didnt have a problem with sauger until the size slot. the last time we caught any numbers of sauger was 3 years ago at eagle nest island and out of 40 boats not one that i talked to had caught any females. more times than none a 15" fish will be a female. we did catch several keeper males though. add in the spring floods we have and the biologists cant really do effective trap net studies. there has been many theories but i think it still is a mystery.

someone on here posted some pics of a limit of females they caught around morgan creek so maybe there is hope. myself, i think they have the slot size in reverse.

MickThompson":1dh25kbw said:
RUGER":1dh25kbw said:
cbhunter":1dh25kbw said:

they do that crap on the big sandy river. its a shallow slough that dumps into the larger lake. those bank beaters will catch a 5 gallon bucket full, take them home and come back for a second limit. they get the daily limit confused with double possession limit. they actually think what they are doing is legal.

There is a certain percentage of people who will do whatever it takes too take game or fish.

I had Guys tell me that a No Trespassing sign means "Welcome Hunters".

I no longer associate with those Guys just for those reasons.

I've heard of game and game fish being sold and taken by illegal means for years.

There's probably not enough people doing this to effect the game population as much as it does the fish population.

But it does go on...

Latest posts

Back