• Help Support TNDeer:

Sheer pin prop?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I know I don't have enough information with me right now to receive all the answers I need but....

I have an old Johnson 25 hp outboard.
I THINK we finally have gotten it fixed so that it will actually run. (Long story)

Anyway, it has a sheer pin prop.
Not the best case senerio for sure but it is what it is and I got plenty of nails. :D

Ok so I have 2 props for the motor and both of them are "spun".
I don't understand the engineering behind these things to begin with.
They have sheer pins to protect the shaft and lower unit.
Why are they not solid? Why do they have what appears to be a rubber bushing pressed into the prop that will spin, along with the sheer pin?

Ok anyway, my questions are?
I am assuming it is a late 60's, prossibly early 70's model engine. Can I find out by looking at anything on the engine?
Where on earth could you buy a replacement for it?
Neither are in "good" shape, prop-wise but could they be repaired, and if so do you think it would be cost effective at all?

Thanks.

Try Performance propeller in Old Hickory. They have been around a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same problem on my 1969 Johnson 9.5. I ordered a new prop for $68 on Iboats. The year should be in the model number. Mine is a 9R69S making it a 1969. I don't understand the bushing in the prop either.

The rubber bushing is for vibration protection as much as to protect your gears in the lower unit. Even with a shear pin if it shears off wrongand pinches it will jam and burn up your gears. That's why the bushing is there as a back up so you tear up a $50 prop not a whole motor.

The motors with shear pins leave you without the ability to steer. That is one reason for going with the rubber bushings. Even if the prop gets spun out there is enough grab to steer the boat in moving water.

Weaz":lh654fnz said:

What he said.

They reworked my prop a couple years ago for 15 bucks, great people who know more about props than you could imagine

Polar Kraft":137hfvgv said:
Weaz":137hfvgv said:

What he said.

They reworked my prop a couple years ago for 15 bucks, great people who know more about props than you could imagine

x3. Know that is not even remotely close to where you live but they do excellent work. I have a 25 hp Johnson that spun the rubber prop bushing. Took it there and he had a new bushing placed and tuned up the prop edges in under an hour for $30.

RUGER":30zn6l3x said:
Wonder if I could mail them a couple props and they mail them back?

If they don't want to do that, you're welcome to mail them to me and I could drop them off for you... then pick them up and mail them back to you. I'm not too far from the Old Hickory area. I admittedly don't know anything about the place nor about props... just offering to help out if you can't find anyone else to fix them.

TNReb":tofdi3rx said:
RUGER":tofdi3rx said:
Wonder if I could mail them a couple props and they mail them back?

If they don't want to do that, you're welcome to mail them to me and I could drop them off for you... then pick them up and mail them back to you. I'm not too far from the Old Hickory area. I admittedly don't know anything about the place nor about props... just offering to help out if you can't find anyone else to fix them.
I really appreciate that man.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back