• Help Support TNDeer:

Single hooks for Rapalas

Doskil

I'd like to add some single hooks to ultralight Rapala lures for use in single hook streams and lakes.

Reccomend a hook type and size to use? These would be put on small Rapala minnows and shad baits.

They come with size 10 trebles

Thanks

Last edited:
thats a 210 also called a siwash hook, not 202. it has a wider gap than a regular hook. i use so much baits and mods i cant keep up lol. i had to dump some of my boxes to find my hook box but thats fine i had to check my battries anyhoo.

this is a #6 salmon egg vs #8 short shank baitholder for reference. you probably could use a #8 210 or salmon egg hook and be good, depending on what you are targeting. i tend to go on the larger size for bluegill and crappie. good hook ups for crappie and keeps from gut hooking bluegill.

09E4661E-B23A-44DA-8C4A-CDFAFED32E96.jpeg

take the split rings off and open the hook eye up and slip it on the bait ring. then crimp the eye back down. easy peezy. fyi i orient both hooks up and sometimes on ise a single on the back. cast a micro crank or micro jerk in mustard weeds or grass it keeps from getting hung. i dont fish them like a regular crank bait, its more of a slow retrieve, and moving the rod tip about 6" and letting it fall.

its a killer technique for prespawn crappie and bluegill.

So a size 8?
The info I have shows a size 6 as the smallest that they make but my material is 4+yrs old and is specific to saltwater.

To me, the hook size is less important than the weight. The jerk baits are designed for a set of hooks that weigh a certain amount. Adding or reducing weight will change the action and/or depth of the bait. Compare this to the weight of your size 10 treble and try to match.

B1AE0670-54B1-4647-AB21-507B126271A4.jpeg

since you said trout, id put both hooks on like in Pilchards pic. mainly because that much meat is going to attract some larger fish and larger predator fish will usually strike the head first.

you normally size a single hook off the width of two hooks on a treble. a #6 siwash is about the same width as a #10 treble.

cutting off the two hooks like SCN might work for trout. when i started using micro cranks for panfish i did the same but the first bluegill i caught was gut hooked. it sucked the whole 2" plug down to the bill. it was an even bigger mess using the trebles that came with them.

have a couple sizes and try them and go with the one that gives you the most hook ups.

Latest posts

Back