• Help Support TNDeer:

Skull cleaning, whitening

I use this, just be sure to tape up the base of the antlers.

View attachment 235128
What he said.
IMG_7119.webp

Get the 40 volume cream/paste. Comes in a bottle just like the one above except it is pink. Just paint it on and let it sit overnight and/or a few hours in the sun. Rinse it off and lightly scrub with a plastic dish brush. Then repeat. 2-3X should do it.

Question, are the skulls clean? Or do they still have dried flesh? If so, pressure wash and boil a few minutes to get rid of the gunk.

I'll post a link to another site that just had a very good discussion on various methods. Site is down now so I'll add it later.

If you want to get them extremely white and also speed up the process, get some "Quick White". It's a powder that comes in a packet. Mix it in your peroxide and paint it on as described above. You can get it at the same salon where you get your peroxide.

Here's a link to another site. Good info.

Sally Beauty Supply has the peroxide stuff. I'll look for Tah's "Quick White" next time I'm in there...for taxidermy purposes of course! 🤣🤣

Too much work for me! We just let Nature clean them up, then put them on the roof during summer to sun-bleach them! Does it make them super white? Nope. But we don't care. They're good enough for our uses.

Attachments

• CabinInt1.webp
    CabinInt1.webp
    140.3 KB · Views: 2
  • CabinInt2.webp
    CabinInt2.webp
    145.1 KB · Views: 2
  • CabinInt3.webp
    CabinInt3.webp
    138.3 KB · Views: 2
Why is it not white?

If you didn't degrease it during boiling, you need to reboil (slight boil) it with Dawn.to pull the oils out of the bone. Those skulls have a yellow tint.

If it's just chalky and greyish, just soak it in 40wt peroxide diluted down to a third with water for 24h.

Latest posts

Back