• Help Support TNDeer:

Smallie Help

J-WO

I've been fishing on and off all my life, but have just gotten into fishing some of these smaller middle TN rivers (The Harpeth for one). I've had a little luck in some pools throwing a crawfish, but didn't know if anyone on here had any tips for finding these fish? What sort of areas are you looking for? What kinds of baits do you use? Any help is much appreciated!

I have best luck with a 2" plastic minnow but have caught them on white silver & black crank bait. Look for breaks in the water where still meets swift. Grassy areas are great.

Find slack water with shade next to current. Use baits that are the approximate size and color of the natural forage in the creek. Flip rocks if you aren't sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it warms up a little more try small buzzbaits and poppers as well as zoom finesse worms. You will be amazed at all the strikes you will get on the harpeth using a small black buzzbait early in the morning.

Strike king bitsy bug jig 3/16oz or 1/8 oz. It is a fish catcher in the creek, my favorite bait to use by far in the creek unless I'm using live bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rapala SR 5 crawdad color.

It's been proven through history that women's a mystery! Popeye

Pools at the end of riffles and runs. Catch you some stone rollers and you'll catch every smallie in the hole. Use a Carolina rig with a 1/4-1/2 oz barrel weight if current is present or just free line'em. A smallie is the easiest bass to catch I've ever seen on live bait. They're slaves to their stomachs.

rukiddin":36qws7pm said:
Pools at the end of riffles and runs. Catch you some stone rollers and you'll catch every smallie in the hole. Use a Carolina rig with a 1/4-1/2 oz barrel weight if current is present or just free line'em. A smallie is the easiest bass to catch I've ever seen on live bait. They're slaves to their stomachs.

Yep it's hard to beat a live minnow or crawfish for bass.

Lots of them in the harpeth river just use a zoom lizard, fat Albert, jig, speed craw, etc.

ZachMarkus":3qoez8st said:
rukiddin":3qoez8st said:

Yep it's hard to beat a live minnow or crawfish for bass.

yes stonerollers are hard to beat. Need a cast net and a flow troll minnow bucket.

4" Zoom lizard watermelon red. 1/8th oz buzzbait and square bill crankbait are my favorites. Minnows, stonerollers should be illegal :lol: .
Poppers on a fly rod are fun too. Minnow imitations on a fly rod.

Back