• Help Support TNDeer:

Smallmouth spots that go dead and still is

larry ipock

Every spring I fished this 100 yd. stretch of water. It was very reliable in late winter, spring, and sometimes even in to early summer. Its consists of boulders, chunk rock , and pea gravel. I rarely see fish or bait on the sonar. It has been this way now for the past three seasons. The only thing that has changed, is that it has become a very popular camping spot. It has no known wood cover on it, so no habitat loss there. I know fishing spots come and go, but I've never seen one go bad and remain so without any improvement. Any ideas?

I had a spot like that. For years I caught several smallmouth over 5lbs off the stretch of bluff bank. I havent caught a fish on it the last 3 years. I think the decline in crawfish in this lake has something to with it. You use to have to clean your livewell out after fishing because of the dead crawfish. Havent had a fish spit up a craw in a long time.

It happens. Still hard to not try it out when you used to pull dandies off it. Had a spot do that to me on norris and finally about 3-4 years later I started catching some again. Not the size I once did I will add.

Back