• Help Support TNDeer:

So my stupid fishing question of the week.

RandyinTN":u1wehw47 said:
So many people love to claim they catch more in a tin can than the guys in a $70K boat. I say good for them. But it seems like the only people who care are the ones running around in the tin can. Most fisherman don't get a hoot as to your boat type, motor on it, or how fast it goes. If I see a guy driving a $75,000 diesel truck pulling a $65,000 bass boat all I can say is he is doing something he enjoys. His money, his choices, none of my business,
You can run to the grocery store in a 25 year old beater truck and buy the same groceries the guy in the $100K Mercedes buys. Either the truck, car or boat is just the transportation to get you to your journey.

i dont think the OP cares about what everyone else is driving, but more self conscience or even intimidated about what others may think about his boat, and sometimes you have a couple of ahole smartazzes at these redneck tournaments that like to be cute.

as for the tin boat comment, well, Hamilton, Lowen and DeFoe do fairly well out of a tin boat.

My name is Atchman.

Crowd" "Hello Atchman"

I fully admit to stopping and looking at boats today at Bass Pro Shop. :drool:

Oh my gosh are they beautiful! They had this 20' Grizzly with a center console and a 150 HP motor. It would make the greatest catfishing boat ever. Nice and wide, built rock solid, what is not to like? :)

Oh I did forget the $30,000 price tag. :)

It is hard to resist. The bad thing about boats is they are like my camper. I love my camper. It is a 34' Winnebago. Sure it is old, but it is paid for and everything works in it. Do you know how many days I've camped this year? ZERO! It hasn't left the parking lot that costs me $75 a month to store it there.

On the other hand, now that my kids have grown up enough for me to leave them, I fish usually 3 days a week, mostly at night after work. That will slow down in the fall because I like to hunt (a lot). I am probably one of those rare folks that use their boat enough for it to be "worth it". My neighbors have a BEAUTIFUL boat. My boat has been in the water more in a week than that one has been all summer. :D (Now I'm rationalizing a new boat) :P

WTM":3d251azp said:
TNReb":3d251azp said:
I agree with RandyinTN. I don't care what kind of boat anyone has. I give everyone the same respect. We're all fishermen. My only concern with smaller boats in bass tournaments is safety. With my 150, I feel like I get rocked around easily if I draw an early blast off in our evening opens. I just try to get out of the way.

lol, back in my day 150's were the max due to safety. i remember when BASS said they would never raise the hp ratings due to safety, then the western guys said they wouldnt fish any tournaments unless they did.
150 is all I need. But when I blast off and I'm maxed out at 55mph and 5 guys go blowing by me at 70-80... yikes!

TNReb":2csl2iz1 said:
WTM":2csl2iz1 said:
TNReb":2csl2iz1 said:
I agree with RandyinTN. I don't care what kind of boat anyone has. I give everyone the same respect. We're all fishermen. My only concern with smaller boats in bass tournaments is safety. With my 150, I feel like I get rocked around easily if I draw an early blast off in our evening opens. I just try to get out of the way.

lol, back in my day 150's were the max due to safety. i remember when BASS said they would never raise the hp ratings due to safety, then the western guys said they wouldnt fish any tournaments unless they did.
150 is all I need. But when I blast off and I'm maxed out at 55mph and 5 guys go blowing by me at 70-80... yikes!

My ranger z20 will only run 58 maybe 60 if the current and wind are in the same direction.(I raised the motor yesterday and want to play with that and maybe prop size to see if I can get more)Four strokes are heavy. Mine probably takes the wake of everyone passing me a little better than yours though. I can definitely relate to getting passed.

G3 makes a Sportsman 200 that a lot of catfish guys use. Check out some videos on YouTube of it.

I ran a 20' Skeeter fiberglass until this year. Went to an aluminum G3 that's 19'10 with a 150 and set up for bass fishing. Right now I absolutely love it. I'm not scared to fish the areas I use to be. It's not near the ride or near as fast but it does exactly what I want it to. I'm sure I will get a few looks later this fall in it when I pull up at a tourney but who cares.

And I was proud that my boat got up to 29 mph this week. :D I was the only one in it and the lake was smooth as glass. Still it is plenty fast for where I like to fish. :)

Right now I'm mostly considering a new trolling motor. Last year I had my boat at Louisville Marine and someone basically stripped it. They gave me a replacement trolling motor, but I've found it is a little lame (36 lb of thrust). I really want my higher thrust motor back, and perhaps one with a remote control. It is a lot easier rationalizing pieces that make your boat better rather than the boat itself.

Perhaps if I sell my camper, my current boat, and my little runabout, I can get enough money for a new (or newer boat). That would make my wife happy. :P

Should have seen the rigs and catfish from the OH
tournament, I think Cabela's earlier in the year. Some of the fish were so big they used 150 qt coolers for live wells. No wonder the boats are so large.

Latest posts

Back