• Help Support TNDeer:

Spawn Question

NumberOne

I made the incorrect decision to fish Kentucky Lake this past Saturday. The temp didn't get close to its forecasted high and the wind ate us up. Very stained water. It was miserable. I was fishing south of Paris and was fishing a pocket just inside a creek (only place I could get relief from the wind and find cleaner water). I reeled my jerkbait in and it had some kind of fry stuck on the hook. It wasn't a bass fry of course. With these water temps are there other types of fish that will spawn in this soon? From my understanding, Carp need a lot of current to spawn. We have had plenty of that this winter but do they need a certain water temp to have a successful spawn or do they just spawn any time they get current?

the perch family are in spawn right now. this includes sauger, walleye, etc. they can spawn in water temps as low as 40 or so. length of daylight triggers them into spawn. they go into the creeks at night to spawn and return to the creek mouths at daylight to feed and rest up.

dont know about silver carp spawn temps but research has shown that they have adapted to slower current rivers.

WTM":24ju3cci said:
the perch family are in spawn right now. this includes sauger, walleye, etc. they can spawn in water temps as low as 40 or so. length of daylight triggers them into spawn. they go into the creeks at night to spawn and return to the creek mouths at daylight to feed and rest up.

dont know about silver carp spawn temps but research has shown that they have adapted to slower current rivers.

That makes me feel better. It threw me for a loop to see that when I was freezing. Water temps were actually 48 in that pocket which was the warmest I found.

NumberOne":3k9px2kx said:
WTM":3k9px2kx said:

That makes me feel better. It threw me for a loop to see that when I was freezing. Water temps were actually 48 in that pocket which was the warmest I found.

lol, overcast days and even a little drizzle or snow clouds are the days to catch them during the spawn. its been tough fishing for them the last few years due to 30,000 inches of rain in january and february.

WTM":36s0eu0n said:
NumberOne":36s0eu0n said:
WTM":36s0eu0n said:

lol, overcast days and even a little drizzle or snow clouds are the days to catch them during the spawn. its been tough fishing for them the last few years due to 30,000 inches of rain in january and february.

No kidding. I think they have been pulling over 100k at the dam since mid November. Over 200k for a good portion of that time.

NumberOne":1uokxavd said:
I made the incorrect decision to fish Kentucky Lake this past Saturday. The temp didn't get close to its forecasted high and the wind ate us up. Very stained water. It was miserable. I was fishing south of Paris and was fishing a pocket just inside a creek (only place I could get relief from the wind and find cleaner water). I reeled my jerkbait in and it had some kind of fry stuck on the hook. It wasn't a bass fry of course. With these water temps are there other types of fish that will spawn in this soon? From my understanding, Carp need a lot of current to spawn. We have had plenty of that this winter but do they need a certain water temp to have a successful spawn or do they just spawn any time they get current?
I was fishing south of paris landing,it was alittle rough saturday

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

I think the rain for January and February this year is going to total over 40,000 inches no problem.

My daughter has a video of worms/larvae/something wiggiling their way to the sidewalk from the grass since they were drowning from the never-ending rain. It is straight out of TWD there are a lot of them crawling around.

I'll post it up if I can get it off an iphone.

Latest posts

Back