• Help Support TNDeer:

Speaking of ramp etiquette

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ok so first of all, I did not know this rule until last year.
It is, however clearly marked on a sign at said lake....

TWRA hunting & fishing lakes are just that.
They are for hunting & fishing only.
No swimming, or recreational boating of any kind. (If you are in a boat or a canoe or a kayak you better have a fishing pole with you)

Ok so I get to a TWRA lake the other day and I see a dude approaching the boat ramp in an inflatable kayak.
I assumed he was leaving and what better place to dock an inflatable kayak than on the concrete boat ramp, right?
I stop (off to one side of the parking lot, out of the way of everyone) and get my stuff ready to launch.
I wasn't in a hurry and was taking my time so this process probably took me a good 5 minutes.

In the mean time dude has walked to his car and got his hand pump out and has returned to his kayak, still laying in the dead center of the single lane concrete boat ramp, and was in the process of adding air to his kayak.
Again, I wasn't really in a big hurry and as I get older I am much more "live & let live" but I will admit I was screaming in my mind,,,, COME ON MANNNNN!!!! :bash:
I piddle a bit more and then get back in the truck and crank it up and sit there watching him pump away on his little pump thingy.
He glanced up at me and just kinda looked and went on back to pumping.

So now I am getting pissed because I see a guy coming in a bass boat towards the ramp. I know this guy and I know it is late in the day (9:00 a.m.) and I know he was leaving because he had been there since 5, because, well I know him.
So now we got a traffic jam on the ramp and this dude is still just pumping away, dead center of the concrete boat ramp, pumping up his kayak.

I make a wide circle in the gravel parking lot and then just sit there. I didn't want to start backing up towards the ramp because I didn't want to make him think I was being an arse and rushing him to finish pumping up his kayak, in the dead center of the concrete BOAT RAMP.
After a few more minutes I start backwards, very slowly.

I get about 10 feet from the BOAT RAMP and he finally looks up again and, going by his body language, he was about half pissed that he had to move his inflatable kayak out of the center of the BOAT RAMP.
He kinda "jerked" it and about half threw it onto the CONCRETE SIDEWALK leading to the boat dock. :rotf: :rotf: :super: :super:

I thought, dude, whatever you do, you better make SURE you keep that plastic inflatable kayak off that bad arse green grass there beside you. :tu:

I got out and said good morning and he mumbled something like mornin or whatever. LOL
Got launched and chatted up my buddy that was coming out for about 10 minutes till kayak dude left.

All I can say is, I came VERY close to risking a ticket for breaking the no wake rule when I went past him after he paddled out about 50 yards.

Oh well, what can ya do. :D

Boat ramp etiquette has been driving me nuts since it warmed up.

I was puling out of the lake one day, and when I got to the dock/ramp, there were 13 people swimming ON THE RAMP. Sitting in the water. On the ramp. Rafts, kayaks, floaties, you name it. Recreational activity is allowed on that lake, but you can't swim on a ramp like that. I didn't think they were ever going to move.

If it was something like the kayak guy you encountered, I'd say "need a hand with anything?", hoping he'd get my drift. If he didnt', I'd just politely ask him to move.

"Idgits!", as a wise man used to say!

One other piece of boat ramp etiquette: turn your freaking headlights off!!!! I've been told you cannot turn them off on some of the newer vehicles, which sucks for everyone else putting in.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SilverFox":1f9okzq3 said:
I all but stop fishing once it warms up... I will start back in late Aug to September.

i hear ya. im in early and out by 10 once it warms up. i don't touch the lake sat-mon labor/memorial day

Spurhunter":1631i4yo said:
One other piece of boat ramp etiquette: turn your freaking headlights off!!!! I've been told you cannot turn them off on some of the newer vehicles, which sucks for everyone else putting in.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes. I was guilty of this offense years ago when I was a new first time boat owner. Makes perfect sense, I just hadn't thought about it yet at that point.

The headlight deal gets me the worst when duck hunting.
Them big ole tall trucks with flamethrowers for headlights make it tough on an old man in a little 2 wd truck for sure. :shock:

If he didn't have enough sense to move to the side i would have run my trailer right on top of his boat. Had a lady holding 2 kayak s once on the concrete and i acted like i never saw her, she got the move on when i didn't let up.
What about the guy who centers up on a double ramp! Errrrr people are ignorant. Holiday weekend boat ramp entertainment is better than being on the water.

Latest posts

Back