• Help Support TNDeer:

Spring River Trip

TNRifleman

Was meeting some buddies for a short weekend trip and I decided to go a day early to fish by myself. Had never been to the Spring River near Hardy, AR before but it ended up being a great trip. I didn't catch a ton but had a great time cathcing a few smallies and enjoying the river.

Man I absolutely love fishing spring river . I typically go in the offf months when school is back in and its starting to cool off. I've stayed at riverside and been the only person there more than once. Very pretty place and can be great fishing ! That cold water is so refreshing !

Nice little river! I think they hold the trout a little longer in the hatcheries there so when released they're somewhat larger. It makes for a nice canoe trip earlier in the year when you have more water. I worked with a guy that had a family and they'd never done any canoeing and I told him they ought to try the Spring and how it was a pretty safe river for starting the family on. They were on the water when that guy died there.

RUGER":rafxmzs3 said:
Is that sinkhole / whirlpool still there?
The one that the guy in the kayak drowned in?

I didn't see that part of the river but the guy I talked to at Mammoth Springs State Park said that they had done some type of work in the area by using explosives and seemed to have fixed the problem.

Mike Belt":3k31afh0 said:
Nice little river! I think they hold the trout a little longer in the hatcheries there so when released they're somewhat larger. It makes for a nice canoe trip earlier in the year when you have more water. I worked with a guy that had a family and they'd never done any canoeing and I told him they ought to try the Spring and how it was a pretty safe river for starting the family on. They were on the water when that guy died there.

The river and it's flow would be great for families. The nudity, drinking and general debauchery that happens on the weekends would not be good for families. If you are going to be on the river floating, being out around 8 or 9 am is your best bet.

Very good fishing there. We stayed at a little campground about 3/4 mile south of the Mammoth Spring State Park, right where the train tracks pass under the main highway and come down beside the river. First night there, I almost came out of the tent when the train came through about 11 pm. I can sleep through a lot, but that train was intense. Didnt sleep much on that trip. Next time we went back, we made sure we had one of the little cabins. Great fishing right in front of the campground though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Got some friends that go there to trout fish. I'd love to try it but my buddy has a place on the Little Red. The Little Red is very family friendly. No nudity, very few bikinis, no need for Mardi Gras beads. I was disappointed! :D

TN Song Dog":2qotud6o said:
Very good fishing there. We stayed at a little campground about 3/4 mile south of the Mammoth Spring State Park, right where the train tracks pass under the main highway and come down beside the river. First night there, I almost came out of the tent when the train came through about 11 pm. I can sleep through a lot, but that train was intense. Didnt sleep much on that trip. Next time we went back, we made sure we had one of the little cabins. Great fishing right in front of the campground though.

Same experience about 25 years ago. My wife and I woke about 2 am and thought we had set up our tent on the tracks for second. It sounded like that train was 5 feet away even though we were a good 100 yards away.

Dbllunger":1u12bpzj said:
TN Song Dog":1u12bpzj said:

Same experience about 25 years ago. My wife and I woke about 2 am and thought we had set up our tent on the tracks for second. It sounded like that train was 5 feet away even though we were a good 100 yards away.
Exactly! I'll never tent camp near a train again, haha.

Latest posts

Back