• Help Support TNDeer:

Striper question

Tenntrapper

Has anyone tried these for fresh water striper. Was advertised for use on salt water striper. Ya think a fresh water striper would know that their kin folks eat these things, and hit it?
Silly question, but worth a shot.

Bomber Vamp jig

Thanks

Attachments

• _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 644
These are meant to be fished vertically. Look up YouTube videos on it. It's primarily used on pelagic species in deep water. Some bottom fish as well.

I doubt you'll find water deep enough to fish this type of lure effectively but I am not an expert on TN fishing by any means.

For reference, I've used them to catch tuna, various jacks, wahoo, kingfish. All in 100+ FOW.

They sink like a rock so casting is not an option.

They probably are a little on the large size for TN, but, it wouldn't shock me to hear of a striper eating one. They certainly eat much bigger forage.

One of the largest stripers I caught while doing my masters food habits study was on a 12" smallmouth on a day when the bluegill were hard to catch. One 20#+ ate it as soon as I drifted it over that hump. And, yes, it was legal to fish with that smallie at the time. I sort of cringe thinking about it now, but at the time, I really needed stomach samples.

6 inch bait... that size is nothing for a striped bass... we catch them all the time on 12 to 14 inch plus live skipjack....

we used something similar at pickwick when they were generating heavy. the boils would keep those heavy baits suspended and theyd roll into the slips. they had trebles and feathers on them though. if i were gonna use them for big fish in freshwater, id replace those stainless hooks. other times during less generation we would throw 9" plugs.

those were the days of big fish and stupidity on our part. dams are dangerous, period.

Latest posts

Back