• Help Support TNDeer:

Stupid battery question

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ok so the other day my livescope quit working.
Long story short my battery was run down.
I never thought to look at the volt display.
Friday I looked when I got there and it was showing 12.6 and when I left it was 12.2
At what point is low enough to cause problems?
Just curious.

The solution is to put a switch in to cut the power to the brain but I haven't done that yet.

12.6 is a fully charged battery. 12.2 is at 50%. if you discharge/recharge a battery many times below 50% you are essentially killing a lead acid battery. li-ion is 20% but you never store one a full charge. there is a finite number of recharge cycles.

that 50% rule also applies to capacity. a 50ah lead acid battery is basically only good for 25ah.

buckwild is correct, 10-30v but if you are running down your battery on the water you need a higher capacity battery. real world current draw for livescope is 5-6 amps so you can calculate what you need.

1646599188855.png
I hooked this small lithium battery to my panoptix computer. Garmin is hooked to another battery. If panoptix battery goes dead, I still have all other modes on my depthfinder. Takes a special charger. I put a quick disconnect from battery to computer and only hook it up when I want to use it.

View attachment 131147I hooked this small lithium battery to my panoptix computer. Garmin is hooked to another battery. If panoptix battery goes dead, I still have all other modes on my depthfinder. Takes a special charger. I put a quick disconnect from battery to computer and only hook it up when I want to use it.
I haven't run it dead yet, but if I decide I need more hours, I will order another battery and put quick disconnect on it for backup. They are very light and can be mounted anywhere. I have mine in rodlocker in front of boat.

View attachment 131147I hooked this small lithium battery to my panoptix computer. Garmin is hooked to another battery. If panoptix battery goes dead, I still have all other modes on my depthfinder. Takes a special charger. I put a quick disconnect from battery to computer and only hook it up when I want to use it.

lol i told spurhunter i was going to try that last year but havent got around to it. i need to get busy and finish some of these projects.

I also use my DeWalt battery to run the black box with great results. The screen is on the deep cycle battery. I can get a good day in without problems. You need one of the bigger DeWalt batteries, but I set it up that way to save weight in the boat.

Not sure if you motor requires a battery to start it, but whatever you do

DO NOT USE a lithium battery for your cranking battery. I believe they are fine for trolling motor and depth finders, but NOT for cranking battery.

Yamaha, Mercury, Suzuki, Honda, etc. will tell you to never use lithium for cranking battery.

Personally, until the danger of fire is eliminated, I will not use lithium for anything in a boat.

Not sure if you motor requires a battery to start it, but whatever you do

DO NOT USE a lithium battery for your cranking battery. I believe they are fine for trolling motor and depth finders, but NOT for cranking battery.

Yamaha, Mercury, Suzuki, Honda, etc. will tell you to never use lithium for cranking battery.

Personally, until the danger of fire is eliminated, I will not use lithium for anything in a boat.

the danger has been eliminated with LiFePo4 batteries. i wouldnt use any other type on a boat. and no you still cant use it as a crank battery because of the charging differences of a standard altenator.

the danger has been eliminated with LiFePo4 batteries. i wouldnt use any other type on a boat. and no you still cant use it as a crank battery because of the charging differences of a standard altenator.
Sorry, I have to disagree. When a lithium has issues, and they still do, fairly often, it is not good. If they catch on fire, you will not put the fire out, they will burn, even if submerged in water, until they burn out.

I was in the boat yard with the service crew at the Bassmaster Classic this weekend, believe it when I tell you Lithium marine batteries are far from having all the "kinks" worked out, no matter the brand.

Back