• Help Support TNDeer:

Surf fishing?

Urban_Hunter

Going to Florida next week. Staying between PCB and Destin. I never have surf fished but wanting to give it a try. Any suggestions appreciated. I assume it is like most other fishing, best at dawn and sunset? Looking to catch fish of any kind, but if something that can be eaten can be targeted that would be cool. I have no desire to go on the school bus style fishing ventures and the private boats don't fit the budget this year. Thanks!

Not sure if they are in yet.....
Pompano and Whiting. Excellent eating. Find a deep trough between sandbars and fish shrimp, sand fleas, or river clams on bottom. Dawn and Dusk are best. Catfish rod will be plenty to handle them. IF the surf is up, you will need heavier weights 2-3 oz pyramid sinkers. There is also a chance of catching redfish and some silver/white trout in the surf. Same tackle but use live finger mullet or half a crab fished on bottom.

Enjoy!!

fishboy1":18bf7brj said:
Not sure if they are in yet.....
Pompano and Whiting. Excellent eating. Find a deep trough between sandbars and fish shrimp, sand fleas, or river clams on bottom. Dawn and Dusk are best. Catfish rod will be plenty to handle them. IF the surf is up, you will need heavier weights 2-3 oz pyramid sinkers. There is also a chance of catching redfish and some silver/white trout in the surf. Same tackle but use live finger mullet or half a crab fished on bottom.

Enjoy!!

Yes the whiting and pompano are there now. A buddy of mine was down at Grayton beach a few days ago and caught both.

lung-buster":kihilwsu said:
I fished with sand fleas for the first time last year and had a blast and caught a lot of fish. Of course it's better if you bring kids, a bucket and flea rake. Kids can have fun catchin sand fleas and you bait.

We are taking our 2-1/2 year old and going with another couple with a 2-1/2 year old, sounds like fun! Where do you get a flea rake?

Cut river clams are a "secret" pompano bait. They stay on the hook better than sand fleas but you gotta go buy them. You can also put a yellow/orange/red bead on your line above your hook. It looks like sandflea eggs I guess.
Have fun, take lots of pix and update us when you get back.

Get some 3/4 oz and 1 oz. cotton cordell spoons. You can cast them a mile. Work them back just under the surface and you can catch ladyfish and redfish. I have even caught pompano of them too. Something different than just bait fishing.

Latest posts

Back