Tactacam help

TNTreeman

I've had my first tactacam out for the last several days. Great daytime pics but zero night ones . I get a black screen sent to my phone like it took one but it's only a black screen. I'm putting out my other two today so we'll see what they do at night. I'm COMPLETELY technology illiterate so my daughter set it up for me. She's gone today so can't ask her. Let me know if you all have any suggestions. Thanks

OakHillHunter

I've had my first tactacam out for the last several days. Great daytime pics but zero night ones . I get a black screen sent to my phone like it took one but it's only a black screen. I'm putting out my other two today so we'll see what they do at night. I'm COMPLETELY technology illiterate so my daughter set it up for me. She's gone today so can't ask her. Let me know if you all have any suggestions. Thanks
I've never had that problem with a tactacam, but i have with spypoint and it was a issue with the camera itself.

OakHillHunter

It's a brand new card, forgot brand but it's one they suggested. I'll turn it off and take it out and put it back in. I'll tap the sides as well. I'll know more tomorrow after I put the others up today . Thanks
They make different classifications of sd cards, tactacams have to have a U3 card . Your card should look like this
master1_101195149_main.png

TheLBLman

Sounds like your flash simply isn't working.
If that's the case, may have to send the cam back for a replacement.
Call Tactacam customer service.

They make different classifications of sd cards, tactacams have to have a U3 card .
I really doubt this is a card issue preventing his flash from working.

Tactacam does claim they "need" to be loaded with the high-speed SD cards (unlike most other brands), but I've used a variety of whatever SD cards handy in various Tactacams without any problems.

That said, I do recommend the high-speed SD cards in all your cell cams (regardless of brand), just shouldn't be a manufacturer's "requirement". Could this be mostly a marketing thing where Tactacam is trying to sell you their own branded SD cards?

Last edited:

BSK

I'm not sure high-speed cards are critical for single images, but if you have a camera set on "rapid-fire" image mode, or video mode, a high-speed card is critical. I shoot only HD or higher-quality video, and I won't use a card under 100mb/s transfer rate. Prefer at least 120mb/s.

TNTreeman

Called them this morning and she wanted me to reformat the disc and then get with her tomorrow . My second camera I put out yesterday worked perfectly with both day and night images . I doubt this works but they were very helpful and wanted me to let them know ASAP how it's doing.

tellico4x4

Called them this morning and she wanted me to reformat the disc and then get with her tomorrow . My second camera I put out yesterday worked perfectly with both day and night images . I doubt this works but they were very helpful and wanted me to let them know ASAP how it's doing.
Their customer service has been great the few times I've talked to them.
BTW, their cams are finicky about SD cards. 32G max & their branded cards always work. I've tried a few others that worked fine in my other cams but wouldn't in theirs. Finally just bought enough of theirs for my 4 Tactcams

TheLBLman

I'm not sure high-speed cards are critical for single images . . .
It absolutely shouldn't matter.
The difference would generally only come into play if you program your cam for a very short delay between triggering events, i.e. 1 second, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, etc. But if you're using like 1 minute or longer delay, shouldn't matter much what the card speed. You might miss some subsequent triggering pics with a slow card, but that shouldn't cause the cam not to work, after it's had time to "recover" (should be less than a minute typically).

I shoot only HD or higher-quality video, and I won't use a card under 100mb/s transfer rate. Prefer at least 120mb/s.
Same.

I'm generally only using 120mb/s or higher with all my cell cams, regardless of brand.
About all the new SD cards I'm buying are 64gb or greater capacity with 140mb/s transfer speeds.
Unfortunately, these will not work in my Tactacams (which only take up to a 32gb card).

Most of my cell cams are Brownings, which accept up to a 512 gb card. If I use them on video mode, I typically use a 128gb card, as you can fill up a 32 gb card pretty fast in video mode, negating part of why I'm using cell cams (which is to have no need to go replace the sd card).
It can be frustrating to have your SD card fill up when your batteries don't need changing.

BSK

Most of my cell cams are Brownings, which accept up to a 512 gb card. If I use them on video mode, I typically use a 128gb card, as you can fill up a 32 gb card pretty fast in video mode, negating part of why I'm using cell cams (which is to have no need to go replace the sd card).
It can be frustrating to have your SD card fill up when your batteries don't need changing.
I couldn't agree more. I've filled a 32GB card in a week (back when I set my videos to 20 seconds, which end up being 100MB each). Now, I use only name brand (usually SanDisk) 128Mb cards with a minimum transfer rate of 120mb/s. Surprisingly, you can buy these in bulk for about $15 each.

TheLBLman

Now, I use only name brand (usually SanDisk) 128Mb cards with a minimum transfer rate of 120mb/s. Surprisingly, you can buy these in bulk for about $15 each.
SanDisk is all I ever buy, and I've never had any problems with a 32gb SanDisk in any of my Tactacams. The SanDisk cards I'm using are much faster than the Tactacam branded sd cards they're encouraging to be used in their cams.

You can find them cheaper in bulk, but SanDisk SD cards are cheap at Walmart.

Biggun4214

Customer service has always been top notch when I've called.

Latest posts