• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Tar river seed drill

EastTNboy

Anyone have one of these? I'm new to drills and I'm curious if I could get away with a regular seed drill vs a true no till drill. Pretty big difference in price. Im curious how much debri if any can be on the surface for the regular seed drill to work effectively. Also how do these perform in fairly rocky soils? Thanks in advance!

I've used one for the past year with good results. It does need some tinkering to get it right.
IMG_1881.jpeg

A guy on the way to our place has one that I keep eyeballing, but afraid it's too lightweight for our rocky ridges. Heck, I can bust a 22" disk blade 🤣
Even no-till drills struggle on dry, rocky, ridge-top soils. I've seen blades get bent so bad they had to be replaced. That's the reason (as well as cost) that I don't have one.

I saw one at our co-op last year. Imo it would take good ground and good conditions. We would ruin it within a couple of hours no doubt. We use a haybuster and still have to replace disks.

It also didn't seem heavy enough to be a true no til. It would probably work fine in worked up ground. Not for us but for the cost caught our eye.

I have a Genesis 8 no-till drill and it's amazing. Had an LandPride 606nt and it's no comparison! Genesis 8 is heavy heavy and really shines in hard rocky soil. Granted, you have to go slow. Slow and easy and you can plant anything anywhere with it.
Yes a no-till drill is more expensive than just a regular seed drill but not having to use fertilizer or lime Is a huge saving every year. It will pay for itself in a few years.

Land pride drills are great. They are made by Great Plains and the same drill except orange.
Best thing in that pic is the 4450. Sharp tractor. They don't make them like that anymore.
I love that tractor. Wanted one since I was about 13 . I was on my 5400 open cab yesterday and thought " this is my favorite tractor". Today I said the same thing to myself about this one. Green tractors , dirt, and diesel makes me happy. Back at it tomorrow Lord willing.

Back