• Help Support TNDeer:

TDEC finds more Mercury in fish

THANK YOU!!! Somebody finally had the balls to tell the truth!!! God bless you friend! We live here and we are not foolish enough to believe that this all just falls from the sky, it's either bullsht or there is a contributing factor! It isnt just falling out of the sky! Thank you again!

Just like the lovely landfill we have in Murfreesboro just upstream from the Walter Hill Dam. That stretch of the Stones has some quality fish of all species but I'm worried about eating anything from there because of it. The landfill just about borders the river as it keeps expanding.

Vermin93":252cvxyt said:
Isn't coal-powered energy awesome?

Meanwhile, many conservative sportsmen ridicule investments in clean, renewable energy. Classic case of shooting oneself in the foot out of stubbornness. I hope they enjoy the polluted fishing.

This is nothing new. Google "lakes mercury coal" and you can read all about it. It's really bad in China where they burn huge amounts of coal.

https://www.facebook.com/Wmufwlzk/posts/1016883075093896

Denton said in 35 years of testing fish for mercury levels in Tennessee waters this is the first time crappie has been above the .3 trigger point. He said it's not likely killing the fish and there is no evidence of historical mercury discharge in the area. In TDEC's best judgement, the mercury levels in the fish comes from the air thru the burning of coal.

with all due respect to Mr Denton, he is wrong. here is the exerpt from the findings from the Trans Ash in Camden in 2010.

At the Trans-Ash Landfill there was on-site damage, as well as off-site damage to surface water, groundwater, and two private residential drinking water wells:
After complaints by a resident living near the Trans-Ash landfill, the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation tested private wells and found mercury concentrations ranging from 0.011 to 0.013 mg/L – 5.5 to 6.5 times higher than the primary MCL. In July 2009, U.S. EPA confirmed mercury levels and initiated Emergency Removal Action to connect the residence to the Camden city water supply. Sampling data shows that the sediment pond has high concentrations of mercury (up to .28 mg/kg) and on-site groundwater has high concentrations of boron (up to 9.39 mg/L) and sulfate (up to 739 mg/L). [see table on page xxi.]

i know i was at the commission meeting when they were all there laying it out for everyone. now if you read the study from the kingston, the 18 month sediment study revealed that mercury levels were 3-4 times higher than acceptable MCL's down stream and upstream of the spill was unaffected. get where i am going. it follows the current.

PickettSFHunter":2yhim1gs said:
Mercury can begin to give off vapor at even room temperature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yes and i stand corrected. bit seems that oxidized mercury is exhausted thru the stack and into the air and goes thru a reaction which changes it into methylmercury which is found in fish as well. and this type of mercury is water soluble. appx 50 tons go thru the stacks and 17 tons goes to landfills.

on a good note just read TVA future projection and due to slow growth for demand they are only building gas fired turbines and uprating nuke output, at least until 2030. so maybe in 15 years of clean energy production then hopefully it can correct itself.

WTM":1depe4w2 said:
on a good note just read TVA future projection and due to slow growth for demand they are only building gas fired turbines and uprating nuke output, at least until 2030. so maybe in 15 years of clean energy production then hopefully it can correct itself.

Right on, brother. You're speaking my language. :super:

Would you mind posting that in the political forum? :lol:

WTM":3i3a6eim said:
PickettSFHunter":3i3a6eim said:
Mercury can begin to give off vapor at even room temperature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yes and i stand corrected. bit seems that oxidized mercury is exhausted thru the stack and into the air and goes thru a reaction which changes it into methylmercury which is found in fish as well. and this type of mercury is water soluble. appx 50 tons go thru the stacks and 17 tons goes to landfills.

The J'ville TVA plant is putting out less mercury than it ever has. A new injection system has cut the mercury emissions by roughly 50%. No worries from that plant though, it will be shut down December 2017.

thats because they have shut down most of the coal fired units too, like you said the last one will be shut down in 2017. But according to TVA they will be producing 87 megawatts and producing steam for Chemours. they are not shutting the plant down but turning up 20 gas fired generators in jan 2018 to replace the coal fired units. according to them they are more effecient and cleaner than the older units.

im not a tree hugging caring more for a gorilla more than a little boy left wing nut job. since we have a surplus of natural gas that is cleaner and more effecient then why not use it now, give the river and environment time to clean itself then tap back into it when we need to. who knows the way technology is advancing there may be a process invented that can take coal and make it as clean as gas with less waste. if not im afraid that we will end up in the situation that china is in now.

Yes 6 of the 10 units have been mothballed, but the remaining 4 units are putting out less mercury than ever due to the injection systems. Also the plant IS shutting down. The coal plant and combustion turbines (that have been there for a long time), are separate from each other. You are correct though that the steam for chemours will come from TVA's combustion turbines. I'll quit hijacking now,sorry.

This thread has been very informative. Between you guy's knowledge and the articles posted I've learned a lot. Trust me, I'm also NOWHERE near some left wing nutjob but I am very concerned about what we're doing do our natural resources. I never want the entire state of TN to be like what has happened in East TN. There are some bodies of water where the TWRA warning goes beyond "Do not eat the fish" and actually says "Avoid contact with the water". That's insane, that should never happen. I believe we have some of the most beautiful fisheries in the country right here and we can not take that for granted.

Through history we've looked back and done a lot of "Can you believe we used to (fill in the blank)" and I don't think we're done doing that. Remember when people thought margarine was a good idea? I hope one day we'll be done with using coal and look back and say we're glad we stopped when we did or there would be no lakes in Tennessee safe to harvest fish from, or in some cases even touch the water!

Ya'll sound like a bunch of pinko liberal communist environmentalists. Next thing you know you will be spiking trees and protesting nuclear power plants. Actually, I have always wondered why not wanting to be poisoned for the sake of a profit margin was considered a liberal idea. Its like you should be willing to eat a radioactive mercury burger with pcb sauce if it helps the bottom line of some corporation, but I digress.

Yall should have a military installation close to a large river. We have one here in north bama that is an epa megasite. However, they don't know what all is buried/leaking there and the military isn't very cooperative. We get our drinking water down stream from it and they say it's ok though we can't eat bottom feeding fish caught east of I65 due to varying contaminants. Yet, they shut down 2 water systems that get their water a little farther downstream. They blamed it on 3M dumping chems on their premises, which I don't doubt. They've had an ongoing cleanup + millions in fines over the last 10 years. Then, there is the little creek just outside of town here. There was an old landfill adjoining it (closed 30+ years ago) that is now leaching so many contaminants, that we can't eat any of the fish out of it. I say all that to say...don't look at recent history for where the contaminants are coming from...most of them were put there before our time. Just my opinion, of course.

Regardless of political beliefs people really need to start admitting and realizing pollution is a real thing and it is a problem everywhere. Even though large companies and factories may provide jobs and economic benefits, it does NOT excuse the act of polluting.

I think a lot of this depends on where you live. I think people who live in big cities are more exposed to pollution every day, and see polluted rivers, and have a diminished view of the stars because of air pollution etc. So they are more likely to acknowledge the reality and issues of pollution. However, if someone lives in a rural area of America, they rarely see the negative impacts of pollution, so they are more likely not to take certain issues seriously.

NAjoe":jg3is66g said:
Yall should have a military installation close to a large river. We have one here in north bama that is an epa megasite. However, they don't know what all is buried/leaking there and the military isn't very cooperative. We get our drinking water down stream from it and they say it's ok though we can't eat bottom feeding fish caught east of I65 due to varying contaminants. Yet, they shut down 2 water systems that get their water a little farther downstream. They blamed it on 3M dumping chems on their premises, which I don't doubt. They've had an ongoing cleanup + millions in fines over the last 10 years. Then, there is the little creek just outside of town here. There was an old landfill adjoining it (closed 30+ years ago) that is now leaching so many contaminants, that we can't eat any of the fish out of it. I say all that to say...don't look at recent history for where the contaminants are coming from...most of them were put there before our time. Just my opinion, of course.

Redstone Arsenal?

Latest posts

Back