• Help Support TNDeer:

the fate of the Tennessee river system

Just to interject a little here,
TWRA has little to do with (and little opportunity for solving)
the Asian carp problem.

Blaming this problem on TWRA is as asinine as blaming the Everglades' invasive python snake problem on the Florida Fish & Game people.

That said,
I'm absolutely positive TWRA is trying, and will do anything within their power to reduce the Asian carp problem.

But so far, I've heard no one, no one come up with a good viable solution (yet).

Also, TWRA has nothing to do with the northward migration of armadillos and alligators,
although I will fault TWRA for any protections they place on gators.

Spurhunter":371a0ujd said:
The asian carp killed our fisheries on the Mississippi River in no time flat. . . . . somebody has to find a way to kill them out.
So far, about the only thing that's providing much hope
is the economic development of creating a "market" (some how, some way)
for people to make money selling carp.
If there's money in it, people will figure out great ways to catch them in large numbers.

Wouldn't hurt if someone came up with a great recipe for Asian carp.
Maybe we can start ACFH,
and fishermen everywhere can just drop off their unwanted carp for free processing & distribution to the hungry,
like we've done with HFTH.

ive no problem with the TWRA and like LBL said the US fish and game have more to do with try to solve the problem. as for the commission, i dont care for politically appointed boards.

as far as a proven technique to catch them, well, there is one that the chinese use to harvest them. its called the unified method where they fit a troller with a sounding device to "herd" them into a cove and trap them with fences. then they net them and load them on trucks bound for the landfill or where ever. in a small lake in missouri they removed almost 50k pounds in a month. right at 85% of the population without endangering native species. this could work on smaller impoundments like Reelfoot but i imagine the logistics involved on larger impoundments it would not be effective.

they are also working on a pathogen that only attacks asian carp and weakens them. there was an incident on the KY side that killed hundreds of thousand ls of fish. one found to be caused by highly oxygenated water and the other was found that the larger younger fish basically starved to death due to a warm winter followed by a cold spring.

so there is still hope.

ahurst":21dwiff8 said:
SCN wrote: I challenge you to find one wildlife agency in the country that has successfully dealt with the Asian Carp problem. Throwing money against an unsolvable problem isn't a wise use of money. To say that TWRA and/or the Commission has failed in that is ludicrous.

This is a serious problem. If it has been decided it is an unsolvable problem. You would think TWRA would take pride in what they do and attempt to be an example of the agency that found a way to solve the problem. But apparently by your statement they have thrown their hands in the air and just hope someone else can do it.
I believe if it was easy to fix it would have already been done.The carp are a major problem,but everyone needs to get on the same page instead of playing the blame game.I do think they have dragged there feet alittle and something should already be in place to help control them,but you cant dwell in the past.Alot of people on the lake dont even realize how many there are already.I for one am gonna enjoy what time i have fishing in the lake and hope they figure out something.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

bluball":1khl2n00 said:
ahurst":1khl2n00 said:
SCN wrote: I challenge you to find one wildlife agency in the country that has successfully dealt with the Asian Carp problem. Throwing money against an unsolvable problem isn't a wise use of money. To say that TWRA and/or the Commission has failed in that is ludicrous.

This is a serious problem. If it has been decided it is an unsolvable problem. You would think TWRA would take pride in what they do and attempt to be an example of the agency that found a way to solve the problem. But apparently by your statement they have thrown their hands in the air and just hope someone else can do it.
I believe if it was easy to fix it would have already been done.The carp are a major problem,but everyone needs to get on the same page instead of playing the blame game.I do think they have dragged there feet alittle and something should already be in place to help control them,but you cant dwell in the past.Alot of people on the lake dont even realize how many there are already.I for one am gonna enjoy what time i have fishing in the lake and hope they figure out something.

articles like this still gives me hope. 5 years ago the illinois river had more carp than any place on earth. the COE installed an electric fence made of steel bars to contain them and commercial fishermen removed most of them. they also have been saying that game fish are returning.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.pantagra ... 1.amp.html

WTM":2b7gi4ny said:
articles like this still gives me hope. 5 years ago the illinois river had more carp than any place on earth. the COE installed an electric fence made of steel bars to contain them and commercial fishermen removed most of them. they also have been saying that game fish are returning.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.pantagra ... 1.amp.html

Seems like I saw that on tv not long ago.
Pretty wild but I wonder how it would work on a place like the TN River?
Or more accurately I wonder how you could set it up to work.

Is it possible the bass have been eating the small Asian carp since there is a lack of shad? This makes sense in my mind. Fishing has been tough on KY Lake and I believe it could be the bass are not in there typical locations because the shad are not there. They could be roaming with the Carp feeding on them????

TRIGGER":2oagy9rb said:
Is it possible the bass have been eating the small Asian carp since there is a lack of shad? This makes sense in my mind. Fishing has been tough on KY Lake and I believe it could be the bass are not in there typical locations because the shad are not there. They could be roaming with the Carp feeding on them????

Sounds more than logical to me?

I know the last time I was there tophat showed me his side scan as we were coming out of a bay and the carp were EVERYWHERE!!!!
It was amazing how many there were on the screen.

RUGER":bsey8t8p said:
TRIGGER":bsey8t8p said:

Sounds more than logical to me?

I know the last time I was there tophat showed me his side scan as we were coming out of a bay and the carp were EVERYWHERE!!!!
Yep,there everwhere when you scan.Its hart to tell whats on the bottom sometimes there so thick.Its hard to tell beds when fishing also there so thick.I do know one thing though,dont run away from them when you see them in the lake.In june and july i would stay away from them when i saw them on the surface crappie fishing.I struggled catching any fish when i stayed away from them.July 7 last year i was pulling cranks through them running my big motor.They were jumping by the boat while i was fishing,but it wad one of my best days crappie fishing of the year.

bluball":3so61284 said:
Yep,there everwhere when you scan.Its hart to tell whats on the bottom sometimes there so thick.Its hard to tell beds when fishing also there so thick.I do know one thing though,dont run away from them when you see them in the lake.In june and july i would stay away from them when i saw them on the surface crappie fishing.I struggled catching any fish when i stayed away from them.July 7 last year i was pulling cranks through them running my big motor.They were jumping by the boat while i was fishing,but it wad one of my best days crappie fishing of the year.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk[/quote]

Wonder why that is?

Latest posts

Back