• Help Support TNDeer:

The tragedy at Pickwick

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I have thought alot about this, as most of us on here have I'm sure.

We probably will never know what all the events were that happened that lead up to this.
I don't fish big bodies of water and sure don't fish rivers.

From what I have gathered it seems like it was a deal where they got out there and their big motor quit on them.
I assume their first course of action was to try and crank the motor and while doing so they were heading downstream with the current.

At some point, again I assume, they decided it wasn't gonna crank and it was time to do something else.

Assuming their trolling motor was functioning properly, would the current be too strong for them to make it to the bank ?
I guess that would depend on how far they were from the bank and from the dam?

I have fished below the dam there a few times and while they were generating alot but it was nothing compared to what was happening the day this accident happened.

I have many feelings about the entire situation but mostly I am just sad for the boys, the father and all of their families.
Please be careful out there and pay attention every single second.

RUGER":1zuhv0l8 said:
Assuming their trolling motor was functioning properly, would the current be too strong for them to make it to the bank ?
I'm only aware of one person who has been in this predicament and he said he was a good ways upstream of the dam/gates when his big motor died, and he knew he was in trouble so he instantly started toward the bank with his trolling motor. He said the current and velocities were like a strong rip current sucking him toward the gates faster than he ever imagined and he barely made it to the bank before getting to the gates. Furthermore, he said if he would have tried to work on the motor when it first died and lost those few minutes, he thinks he would have never made it to the bank. He also said if he had to do it again, he would angle the boat toward the bank WITH THE FLOW (downstream), and not panic, and try to go upstream, all the time making minimal progress and wearing his battery down. Bottom line, he barely made it to the bank before he ran out of time and distance and he has never forgotten his frightening experience.

That's about what I figured.
I can NOT imagine the fear those little boys, and the father, had.
Just breaks my heart.

The biggest thing I can't figure out, if what I'm hearing is true, is why they didn't try to call anyone? They had to know all the other team members. Even if someone was in yellow creek with a fast bass boat they could've made it back to the dam in give or take 10 minutes depending where they were at in Yellow. I'm also very curious if TVA or someone else will ever let us know whether or not the 3 people were still in the boat when it got sucked through the gate. My guess is that they were not. It makes me wonder if it's possible that they got the boat cranked and somehow got ejected from it while out on the lake. Nothing that's being reported about this case makes much sense to me. Sad deal all the way around.

bowhunterfanatic":2wbpdm7l said:
The biggest thing I can't figure out, if what I'm hearing is true, is why they didn't try to call anyone? They had to know all the other team members. Even if someone was in yellow creek with a fast bass boat they could've made it back to the dam in give or take 10 minutes depending where they were at in Yellow. I'm also very curious if TVA or someone else will ever let us know whether or not the 3 people were still in the boat when it got sucked through the gate. My guess is that they were not. It makes me wonder if it's possible that they got the boat cranked and somehow got ejected from it while out on the lake. Nothing that's being reported about this case makes much sense to me. Sad deal all the way around.

I have seen where several people have said that cell reception in that area is spotty?

I still think it's possible they got to the bank and the boat just got away and went down stream to the dam, and they are stuck on an island somewhere. If everybody is looking in the water, they could easily be missed on land. Just my wishful thinking.

Crow Terminator":22d97p92 said:
I still think it's possible they got to the bank and the boat just got away and went down stream to the dam, and they are stuck on an island somewhere. If everybody is looking in the water, they could easily be missed on land. Just my wishful thinking.

I think everyone is hoping that is what happened and they are found safe.
If they had to jump and swim for an island that would explain no cell phone calls too, unless they had them in a ziplock bag or something.
I just hope they do find them.

Andy S.":1d69qwi8 said:
RUGER":1d69qwi8 said:
I'm only aware of one person who has been in this predicament and he said he was a good ways upstream of the dam/gates when his big motor died, and he knew he was in trouble so he instantly started toward the bank with his trolling motor. He said the current and velocities were like a strong rip current sucking him toward the gates faster than he ever imagined and he barely made it to the bank before getting to the gates. Furthermore, he said if he would have tried to work on the motor when it first died and lost those few minutes, he thinks he would have never made it to the bank. He also said if he had to do it again, he would angle the boat toward the bank WITH THE FLOW (downstream), and not panic, and try to go upstream, all the time making minimal progress and wearing his battery down. Bottom line, he barely made it to the bank before he ran out of time and distance and he has never forgotten his frightening experience.

I read somewhere that the big motor malfunctioned at the ramp, and that they left out under power from the trolling motor. If that is the case, they failed to realize exactly how bad the current was, and were trying to salvage a chance in the tournament. Figuring it was probably on Facebook that I read this, I'd take it as speculation from someone as to what happened. We'll probably never know.

Looking back now I wonder if they could have just anchored the boat and waited for help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

It has also been very disturbing to me reading about this. Some of the articles I have read have shown problems with the timeline of when they were last seen and then the actual time they were reported missing. Part of that makes no sense. Of course the writers may not have good information either.

Everyone might ought to reevaluate these deals about fishing tournaments. It seems that a lot of common sense was lacking in some of these things. People see " the pros " on the tv shows and think they are right there with them. I am afraid that with the high school tournaments that some of this " got to do it, no matter mentality " has been slowly moving in. The water and the wind and weather can get you in trouble in a New York minute sometimes. We see these type tragedies every year with everyday people and the pros.

I have been caught in thunderstorms and wind situations before and I always had a plan to either get off as safely as possible or sit it out on wet ground till over. I understand that those things happen sometimes. I also have a philosophy of having a boat motor that will run good if I am going. I may have a crappy boat but the motor is going to be in good shape. If it is giving trouble I am not going and put myself and other s in a possible bad situation. I am heading home and have done it before.

The dollar is driving this stupid arse mentality. Do you really need a 450 hp motor on a 22 ft bass boat as I saw in an ad in the latest magazine ?

Please use some common sense.

woodyard":2eabi75l said:
. I am afraid that with the high school tournaments that some of this " got to do it, no matter mentality " has been slowly moving in.

Yep, my biggest question is why were kids put in this situation to begin with.
Just sad sad sad.

From TWRA early in

"However, due to the current situation with the dangerous levels of water on the river, we are asking for volunteers to please stand down and let the professionals do this search."

If the water was this bad why was the tournament not cancelled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tournament was held on the lake side of the dam, and the search is on the river side (which is the water is much more dangerous with the current water situation).

The ramp from where they launched was VERY close (and upstream) from the dam.

The ramp itself is protected from the current, as it's somewhere in the ballpark of 300 yds inside the bay closest to the dam.
It's just that they HAD to hit the main channel current upon exiting the bay, and they were then somewhere in the ballpark of only 300 yds from the dam.

Just speculating, but suspect they hit that current and were swept to the dam unbelievably quickly.

I'm surprised that no one has reported seeing anything.
One would think SOMEONE (perhaps several people) were in the area, and on both sides of the dam.

How does a boat go thru or over this dam without someone seeing it?

TheLBLman":2bcus671 said:

I wondered that too and all I can come up with is the weather and time of year there was nobody fishing within sight of the ramp?

I am assuming nobody that works on the actual dam can see that direction unless they are outside?

RUGER":250an8we said:
TheLBLman":250an8we said:

I wondered that too and all I can come up with is the weather and time of year there was nobody fishing within sight of the ramp?
The ramp isn't the "issue".

It's once they got about 300 yds from the ramp, they would have hit that tremendous current.
You probably could have counted the minutes on one hand before this current could have swept them to the dam (if they had no big motor power).

Worse, this current would have been sucking them AWAY from the nearest bank.

Normally, there will be several bank fishermen BELOW the dam, as well as people frequently just driving up to look at the water, whatever.
That's who I would expect to have seen something.

As to any remaining hope these fishermen may have made it to land, now seems gone.

One of the saddest things I've heard in a while.
Horrible tragedy.

One article that I read said they were last seen at 6:45 pm Saturday. Also said wasn't reported missing till Sunday night. It doesn't make any sense if correct about being seen after dark and why wasn't there a concern reported to TWRA on Sat night. Hard to understand why other parents would not have been checking on them after 5:00 or so on Sat when they were on Pickwick in February with all the rainfall.

Lot of it doesn't make sense to me. Sad and disturbing.

The water was up to the point that the gates were closed so it could have went unnoticed.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

sad and i feel and pray for the families. i cant wrap my head around why they were having a tournament to begin with, and it doesnt matter that it was above the dam. its even worse when the water is up because you cant see the current seam but it is still there along with the logs and trees that get pulled off the bank.

there are security cameras all along the dam and i imagine theyve probably reviewed the spillway footage. the guys that went over the spillway two years ago i believe they saw them on camera. i think those guys put in across the lake and hit the seam as soon as they left the ramp, if i remember.

the only scenario i can think of other than them hitting something or motor quit in the channel seam is that they fished the creek a while, went out of the mouth and fished levee rip rap. there is kind of an eddy there until you get close to the lock wall. get caught there and even the best trolling motor wont get you out of it. if they tried to swim even in 50 degree water, it can cause a heart attack or seizure when you hit the water.

God performs miracles every day and i pray this will be one of them.

Latest posts

Back